Author Topic: Smugmug Gallery Settings  (Read 10254 times)

Offline carloschegado

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Smugmug Gallery Settings
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:05:16 PM »
Hi,

I enjoy using the Smugmug uploader and it works quite well, except I miss a function to select the Smugmug Gallery Settings to apply to a new gallery.

This forces me to login to Smugmug first, create an new empty gallery, select the Gallery Quick Settings and then go back to Photo Mechanic to start the upload.
Would make much sense to me to be able to create a new Gallery and select which Quick Settings to apply right there from the Uploader interface.

Is this planned or I am missing something???

Thanks in advance.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Smugmug Gallery Settings
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 01:28:02 PM »
I enjoy using the Smugmug uploader and it works quite well, except I miss a function to select the Smugmug Gallery Settings to apply to a new gallery.

This forces me to login to Smugmug first, create an new empty gallery, select the Gallery Quick Settings and then go back to Photo Mechanic to start the upload.
Would make much sense to me to be able to create a new Gallery and select which Quick Settings to apply right there from the Uploader interface.

Is this planned or I am missing something???

I'm not at all familiar with 'Quick Settings' or their function.  Perhaps you could elaborate?

-Kirk

Offline carloschegado

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 06:58:28 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Smugmug Quick Settings allows us to create different gallery settings for each occasion. Then when creating a new Gallery, you just need to select one of your custom settings and you are set to go without checking the whole list of different gallery settings every time you create a new gallery.

Examples:

1) A gallery with private photos to share with my family.
2) A gallery of client work to distribute to a client.
3) A gallery of travel photos to share with friends.
4) A gallery of portfolio images to showcase my work.

As you can imagine, each of this galleries require different settings depending on their use, here are some examples:

1) Family => I have this type of private galleries and unlisted at the same time. The persons I share the link with will get asked a personal question about myself that they can answer and access the these galleries. Also, these galleries are unlisted, that is they don't appear on my Smugmug homepage, so only people I share the link with will find out these galleries.

2) Client Work => My clients keep asking me over and over to resize the images, loose CDs, etc, so I need a place that I can forward them a link and they can use to publish the images on their websites, etc. I have this setting that makes this galleries unlisted and allows them to download any size of the image, even original but includes my copyright notice in a discrete way.

3) Travel Friends => A gallery of travel photos to share with friends is unlisted because it may contain unappropriated images for general public and doesn't need all sizes made available to download, only the basic ones.

4) Portfolio => Portfolio Galleries get listed on my homepage and have the necessary image protection features turned on to protect me up to some point from people abusing my images.

For all these different situation I have saved Quick Settings that I can pull from a drop down list when creating a new gallery in the Smugmug interface.
Creating Smugmug Galleries from the Photo Mechanic Upload window should be no different.

And not having this is counter productive.

Example:

If I wanted to create a gallery for Client Work within Photo Mechanic, it wouldn't work because:

1 could just create a normal gallery and start to upload the images but as images where being uploaded, the gallery would be immediately visible in my Gallery Homepage when I wanted this Client Gallery Unlisted, and also, I would need to login to that gallery afterwards and apply the watermarking to the images.
This defeats the whole process of using Photo Mechanic to upload to Smugmug.

Solving this is a matter of adding a drop down menu with the gallery quick settings saved on that account to choose from and voilá.

I hope you understand now the need for Quick Settings on the Upload interface.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Carlos Chegado

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 08:30:09 AM »
Carlos,

Smugmug Quick Settings allows us to create different gallery settings for each occasion. Then when creating a new Gallery, you just need to select one of your custom settings and you are set to go without checking the whole list of different gallery settings every time you create a new gallery.

Examples:

1) A gallery with private photos to share with my family.
2) A gallery of client work to distribute to a client.
3) A gallery of travel photos to share with friends.
4) A gallery of portfolio images to showcase my work.

As you can imagine, each of this galleries require different settings depending on their use, here are some examples:

1) Family => I have this type of private galleries and unlisted at the same time. The persons I share the link with will get asked a personal question about myself that they can answer and access the these galleries. Also, these galleries are unlisted, that is they don't appear on my Smugmug homepage, so only people I share the link with will find out these galleries.

2) Client Work => My clients keep asking me over and over to resize the images, loose CDs, etc, so I need a place that I can forward them a link and they can use to publish the images on their websites, etc. I have this setting that makes this galleries unlisted and allows them to download any size of the image, even original but includes my copyright notice in a discrete way.

3) Travel Friends => A gallery of travel photos to share with friends is unlisted because it may contain unappropriated images for general public and doesn't need all sizes made available to download, only the basic ones.

4) Portfolio => Portfolio Galleries get listed on my homepage and have the necessary image protection features turned on to protect me up to some point from people abusing my images.

For all these different situation I have saved Quick Settings that I can pull from a drop down list when creating a new gallery in the Smugmug interface.
Creating Smugmug Galleries from the Photo Mechanic Upload window should be no different.

And not having this is counter productive.

Example:

If I wanted to create a gallery for Client Work within Photo Mechanic, it wouldn't work because:

1 could just create a normal gallery and start to upload the images but as images where being uploaded, the gallery would be immediately visible in my Gallery Homepage when I wanted this Client Gallery Unlisted, and also, I would need to login to that gallery afterwards and apply the watermarking to the images.
This defeats the whole process of using Photo Mechanic to upload to Smugmug.

Solving this is a matter of adding a drop down menu with the gallery quick settings saved on that account to choose from and voilá.

I hope you understand now the need for Quick Settings on the Upload interface.

I do understand.  I don't know at this point whether SmugMug exposes these features in their API.  If they don't expose this functionality, it will be impossible to implement.

It is something we'll have to look into.  Are there any other applications that provide these features?

-Kirk

Offline carloschegado

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 02:10:14 PM »
Yes,

Check this one here: http://starexplorer.com/

"Create and re-use your own custom gallery settings"

Carlos Chegado

Offline PhotoWagon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 03:44:48 AM »
+1 VOTE

Excellent post Carlos, I totally agree with what you have said - this option would be great, definitely needed.

I would also like to see the ability to create and upload to Sub Galleries direct from PM added so we dont have to go back to SM to get the job done.

Offline carloschegado

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 03:19:15 AM »
Filly agree.

Thumbs up for the feature request: Possibility of Upload to Smugmug Subcategories within Photo Mechanic!

Carlos Chegado

Offline jmacht

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »
yes we need the sub category option

Offline a_mumford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
FWIW

http://nzwidgets.com/smugin/SmuginForAperture/SmuginForAperture.html allows both Category and Sub Category so I'm assuming that part at least must be exposed in the API ...

Edit > Actually looking again it includes all of the feature's requested here so I would think they are exposed in the API too - you're not very busy there - right ?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:31:58 AM by a_mumford »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:43:52 AM »
I am sure that what you are requesting can be done.  We just have higher priority development tasks to complete right now.

-Kirk

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2