Author Topic: Does PM work with NAS (Network Attached Solution) ?  (Read 5483 times)

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
Does PM work with NAS (Network Attached Solution) ?
« on: October 31, 2010, 07:01:06 AM »
Hi,

I currently use a USB portable drive and phyiscally carry it to different computers (studio and home locations).  I use PM on both machines.  I would like to setup a NAS and be able to use PM on both the local network (at the studio) and at home - over the internet.  Will PM work with files accessed over the internet - and what kind of performance should I expect?  I currenlty looking at a product by Synology.

Thanks.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Does PM work with NAS (Network Attached Solution) ?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:44:45 PM »
David,

I currently use a USB portable drive and phyiscally carry it to different computers (studio and home locations).  I use PM on both machines.  I would like to setup a NAS and be able to use PM on both the local network (at the studio) and at home - over the internet.  Will PM work with files accessed over the internet - and what kind of performance should I expect?  I currenlty looking at a product by Synology.

I have a Synology NAS and it works quite well over my local network with PM.  I haven't tried it over the Internet.  I don't think performance will be stellar, but it will depend on how fast the entire Internet connection is on both ends.

-Kirk

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 04:36:16 AM »
Thanks, Kirk.

Can you test out something for me?  I would like use PM to view previews of .NEF files that are stored back on the server (over the internet on the NAS)  then retrieve the NEF file and work on it on the local pc that that PM.  Can you see if you can do that - view the jpg previews - using PM on the remote NAS?

Thanks.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 06:37:18 AM »
David,

Can you test out something for me?  I would like use PM to view previews of .NEF files that are stored back on the server (over the internet on the NAS)  then retrieve the NEF file and work on it on the local pc that that PM.  Can you see if you can do that - view the jpg previews - using PM on the remote NAS?

I don't have the ability to access my Synology NAS over the Internet (don't want that because I have too much sensitive data on it) but I can tell you that it is quite speedy on my LAN and that PM is fully functional with it.

-Kirk

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 07:20:49 AM »
I want to make sure that I can see the preview jpgs of the nef files remotely.  PM allows me to do that.  Do you know if I will be able to do that?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 07:31:39 AM »
David,

I want to make sure that I can see the preview jpgs of the nef files remotely.  PM allows me to do that.  Do you know if I will be able to do that?

If PM can access your remote volume as a locally mounted disk then all should function correctly.  Whether or not the Synology when accessed over the Internet will show up as a locally mounted volume is not something I can guarantee.

Meaning: I don't wish to give you advice on your purchase and have you be unhappy with my advice.  Some Google searches will likely give you the answers you seek.

-Kirk