Author Topic: Closed: Errors when exporting preferences  (Read 5576 times)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Closed: Errors when exporting preferences
« on: November 02, 2010, 09:08:57 AM »
I tried to export all of PM's preference settings to be able to import these onto my laptop. When I try to do so, however, there is an error message stating there were error in the export. However, as the dialogue didn't tell me what went wrong, I have no clue as to what I can do to fix it.

Note: the export and import of settings did work when I selected only a few settings, so it seems one (or more) of my settings is causing the error, I just don't know which one.… And to try each individual one is a bit cumbersome to say the least ;)

Kirk, any idea how we can find the culprit and better yet, fix PM from going wrong on this in the future?

PM 4.6.6 Mac OS 10.6.4.

Cheers,
    Hayo
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:16:48 AM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Errors when exporting preferences
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
Hayo,

I tried to export all of PM's preference settings to be able to import these onto my laptop. When I try to do so, however, there is an error message stating there were error in the export. However, as the dialogue didn't tell me what went wrong, I have no clue as to what I can do to fix it.

Note: the export and import of settings did work when I selected only a few settings, so it seems one (or more) of my settings is causing the error, I just don't know which one.… And to try each individual one is a bit cumbersome to say the least ;)

Kirk, any idea how we can find the culprit and better yet, fix PM from going wrong on this in the future?

I'd guess that it is either an uploader or exporter setting.  Can you tell me the exact error message?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 09:41:23 AM »
Hi Kirk that was quick :D

Please see attached screenshot for the complete message.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Hayo Baan - Photography

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 10:08:23 AM »
Hayo,

Hi Kirk that was quick :D

Please see attached screenshot for the complete message.

Check the PM.log file (it's in the same location as your Photo Mechanic Disk Cache path which you can see by going into the Preferences dialog and clicking on the Caching tab.)  The export code definitely puts messages into the PM.log file.  Feel free to post the contents here or to me privately.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 05:35:57 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you (bit busy), but I tested the export on the rather "virgin" installation on my laptop and got the same error. Here's the snippet from the log:

[Wed Nov-03-2010 13:30:35.069][2689996032] ExportPreferencesDialog.cpp:747 ($Revision: 1.29 $) Export Preferences: error getting size of /Users/xxx/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/StructuredKeywords_UTF-8.txt
[Wed Nov-03-2010 13:30:35.069][2689996032] ExportPreferencesDialog.cpp:800 ($Revision: 1.29 $) Export Preferences: error from zip library: -1

Look to me like it is expecting structured keywords, even if you don't have them…

I'll check my desktop machine as well, but I reckon I got the same error there :-)

Guess you should be able to fix this one quite easily.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 06:17:52 AM »
Hayo,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you (bit busy), but I tested the export on the rather "virgin" installation on my laptop and got the same error. Here's the snippet from the log:

[Wed Nov-03-2010 13:30:35.069][2689996032] ExportPreferencesDialog.cpp:747 ($Revision: 1.29 $) Export Preferences: error getting size of /Users/xxx/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/StructuredKeywords_UTF-8.txt
[Wed Nov-03-2010 13:30:35.069][2689996032] ExportPreferencesDialog.cpp:800 ($Revision: 1.29 $) Export Preferences: error from zip library: -1

Look to me like it is expecting structured keywords, even if you don't have them…

I'll check my desktop machine as well, but I reckon I got the same error there :-)

Guess you should be able to fix this one quite easily.

Do you have the file '/Users/xxx/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/StructuredKeywords_UTF-8.txt' on your system?  Everyone should have one at that location.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 06:40:29 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I searched my complete drive for this file and I just don't seem to have it. This with a fresh install of PM 4.6.6 on a brand new laptop. I haven't yet had the opportunity to test my desktop Mac, but I guess it will show the same thing: no such file.

Perhaps it is simply not installed with 4.6.6?

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 06:57:55 AM »
Hayo,

I searched my complete drive for this file and I just don't seem to have it. This with a fresh install of PM 4.6.6 on a brand new laptop. I haven't yet had the opportunity to test my desktop Mac, but I guess it will show the same thing: no such file.

Perhaps it is simply not installed with 4.6.6?

It's created by the application if it doesn't exist.  Is your Structured Keywords dialog or panel empty?

At any rate, deselecting the 'Structured Keywords' item in the list to export should get you going again.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 07:45:43 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Just checked the Desktop Mac and it too did not have the file you mentioned. However, after opening the structured keywords panel once and then closing PM, the file got created. Exporting the preference works fine now. So all in all just a little thing.

Thanks,
    Hayo

Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »
Kirk - I just tried to export like above - and had the same error. it only worked when I unselected Structured Keywords.

Joe

Win 7 ,  PM - 4.6.7
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 02:16:55 PM »
Joe,

Kirk - I just tried to export like above - and had the same error. it only worked when I unselected Structured Keywords.

PM 4.6.7 should not have this issue.  Are you sure you tried exporting with PM 4.6.7?

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »
Sorry Kirk - I exported with 4.6.6.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com