Author Topic: colour class and star settings  (Read 3541 times)

Offline grafichouse

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
colour class and star settings
« on: November 06, 2010, 04:18:39 PM »
I've looked and can't find an exact match to my problem. I have recently bought Photo Mechanic for my windows 7 PC, replacing an out dated fotostation i've used for years.
I have been selecting images from a set of jpegs using the "tag" tick box and colour class, I got about 3/4's of the way through and had to call it a night, when I cam back to finish making my selection ready to edit I found the tag and colour class selection's I made the day before had dissapeared, I have checked the preferences according to what I found here in the forums but Photo Mechanic still doesn't seem to remember my choices after a restart.
This is a bit of a problem on big jobs especially if I have a lot of images to go through over a few days.

Please can anyone offer some advice on this.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: colour class and star settings
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 05:23:43 PM »
I've looked and can't find an exact match to my problem. I have recently bought Photo Mechanic for my windows 7 PC, replacing an out dated fotostation i've used for years.
I have been selecting images from a set of jpegs using the "tag" tick box and colour class, I got about 3/4's of the way through and had to call it a night, when I cam back to finish making my selection ready to edit I found the tag and colour class selection's I made the day before had dissapeared, I have checked the preferences according to what I found here in the forums but Photo Mechanic still doesn't seem to remember my choices after a restart.
This is a bit of a problem on big jobs especially if I have a lot of images to go through over a few days.

Please can anyone offer some advice on this.

Are you editing on a read-only volume (CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, etc.)?  What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?

-Kirk

Offline grafichouse

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 01:07:16 AM »
Thanks for your reply, you have made me realise something, I have the lastest purchased version of photo mechanic, I have recently updated my PC, I have two hard drives installed in my tower, one had the operating system and installed programs with XP the other had working files, web stuff, photographs etc, so if there was a problem with the C drive my images would be better protected, after a month images are backed up and moved on to two mirrored external drive.
this week I took out the C drive and replaced it with a clean, larger drive and installed a fresh purchased copy of Windows 7.
Everything installed correctly, I then re-connected the second internal drive and it was recognised as such. I have moved photo jobs from the last couple of days on to that drive ready for editing. BUT now I come to select and edit the pictures ( i'm only just catching up on my work as of last night ) I find the drive is write protected ??!!!!?!

It wasn't under XP, I have googled this and it seems a few other people have found after installing Win 7 a drive has become write protected, isthis a 7 issue or setting?

I cannot format the drive as it contains valuable work, any idea how I can unlock the drive?

Offline grafichouse

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 05:19:02 AM »
I think I have solved the issue, there are hundreds of forum threads on the web about windows 7 and write protection happening on hard drives at random, but I have managed to change permissions to administrator AND user to access everything, this took a while to find as different routes would not allow change due to the write protection, anyway it's done, and so far it works, I can tag images in Photomechanic and so far they have been stored after a restart.

Thankyou for your input, without your comment about write permissions i'd have still been banging my head on my desk next week.