Author Topic: Automatic IPTC/EXIF Info Sync between original images and processed ones  (Read 8016 times)

Offline carloschegado

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
As some of you probably experienced already, ingesting and adding IPTC/Exif/GPS data in the beginning of the developing process with Photo Mechanic works very well, but other programs may not preserve that meta-data trough the entire process leaving most of the time that info out of the final processed images.
I would really appreciate a way to tell Photo Mechanic to compare filenames from original folder and final processed images folder and fetch/sync the IPTC/EXIF Info data from the original images to the final ones in one stroke.

Right now I couldn't figure out how to do that and I am using GeoSetter for that purpose only, but the Photo Mechanic speed and interface is much better and really would love to do it inside Photo Mechanic.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Automatic IPTC/EXIF Info Sync between original images and processed ones
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 01:01:43 PM »
As some of you probably experienced already, ingesting and adding IPTC/Exif/GPS data in the beginning of the developing process with Photo Mechanic works very well, but other programs may not preserve that meta-data trough the entire process leaving most of the time that info out of the final processed images.
I would really appreciate a way to tell Photo Mechanic to compare filenames from original folder and final processed images folder and fetch/sync the IPTC/EXIF Info data from the original images to the final ones in one stroke.

Right now I couldn't figure out how to do that and I am using GeoSetter for that purpose only, but the Photo Mechanic speed and interface is much better and really would love to do it inside Photo Mechanic.

Do the files have the same names in both locations?  Or do they differ?

-Kirk

Offline carloschegado

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:14:14 AM »
Usually I keep it simple like this:

Original RAW files:

someplace_somenumber.cr2

Final processed images:

someplace_somenumber.tif
someplace_somenumber.jpg

So, yes, I am keep the same name structure between the Ingesting the RAW files and the final processed images.

Thanks in advance.

Offline ramblinwreck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 07:33:03 AM »
Carlos,

A partial solution...

If you put your CR2s in one directory and your processed JPGs in another directory, then open them into the *same* contact sheet, then PM will 'join' these two files (provided that they have the same filename base and that you've enabled the Contact Sheet preference "Combine RAW+JPG into a single thumbnail"), at which point you can select the RAW+JPG pairs and use Tools -> Update IPTC/XMP to sync metadata from CR2 to JPG (or vice versa).

I use this to sync metadata from NEF/CR2 to processed JPGs.

Now, I'm not sure if this will sync EXIF (I've not had a problem with my EXIF getting dropped), and I'm not sure if or how this can be used to update a (processed) TIFFs metadata from a raw file, so it doesn't answer your question completely.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:46:07 AM by ramblinwreck »

Offline carloschegado

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:11:01 AM »
Thanks Chris, I will give this a try.

Carlos Chegado

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 12:20:49 AM »
Thanks Chris, I will give this a try.

Carlos Chegado

This answer above shall be exactly what you are looking for. You only need to get the source files and the destination files in the same contact sheet then choose from the Tools menu which direction you want to sinc your metadata from/to.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline jaybee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Resurrecting this post as it's so close to what I'm trying to achieve but it's not working for my requirements.

I want to copy IPTC from JPEGs to PSD/TIFF files.  At the moment PhotoMechanic only seems to work between JPEG & RAW.  Unfortunately that's not how my workflow is set up.  I'm using PM purely to keyword my master PSD/TIFF BUT sometimes I use other people to keyword for me (and for that I use using lo res JPEG previews made from my master PSD/TIFFs). 

So when these JPEGs come back keyworded I need to be able to update my master PSD/TIFF files from them.

I need to be able to create a contact sheet that contains all the pairs where the JPEG is keyworded (has IPTC) and the PSD file does not.  I then need to be able to sync the two together so the JPEG IPTC copies over to the PSD/TIFF.

File pairs will always have the same name i.e.

file1234.psd
file1234.jpg

Is this possible in PM?  I know there's a script for Lightroom that does just this but that's not part of my workflow either.  I've tried looking for a Bridge script but can't find one... seems such a simple thing to do if only I knew scripting lol:)

TIA

Jaybee

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Jaybee,

Resurrecting this post as it's so close to what I'm trying to achieve but it's not working for my requirements.

I want to copy IPTC from JPEGs to PSD/TIFF files.  At the moment PhotoMechanic only seems to work between JPEG & RAW.  Unfortunately that's not how my workflow is set up.  I'm using PM purely to keyword my master PSD/TIFF BUT sometimes I use other people to keyword for me (and for that I use using lo res JPEG previews made from my master PSD/TIFFs). 

So when these JPEGs come back keyworded I need to be able to update my master PSD/TIFF files from them.

I need to be able to create a contact sheet that contains all the pairs where the JPEG is keyworded (has IPTC) and the PSD file does not.  I then need to be able to sync the two together so the JPEG IPTC copies over to the PSD/TIFF.

File pairs will always have the same name i.e.

file1234.psd
file1234.jpg

Is this possible in PM?

No, it is not possible.  ExifTool would be able to do it and is free.  But once again it would require scripting.

-Kirk

Offline jaybee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thanks Kirk,

No worries, I'll get there with Bridge in the end I think.... I knew I should have paid more attention to JavaScript in 1995...  ;D

Thanks!

Jaybee