Author Topic: Workflows For Using Photo Mechanic With Aperture?  (Read 7824 times)

Offline Mojo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Workflows For Using Photo Mechanic With Aperture?
« on: February 05, 2011, 12:02:53 PM »
Can anyone offer advice regarding the advantages/disadvantages of using the two programs together and a sample workflow?

I use referenced masters vs. managed masters, so my images reside outside the Aperture library in a folder structure of my own design.

I am attempting to ascertain whether or not PM will be a worthy addition to my workflow.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Workflows For Using Photo Mechanic With Aperture?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 12:32:08 PM »
Can anyone offer advice regarding the advantages/disadvantages of using the two programs together and a sample workflow?

I use referenced masters vs. managed masters, so my images reside outside the Aperture library in a folder structure of my own design.

I am attempting to ascertain whether or not PM will be a worthy addition to my workflow.

Without knowing what you want to do with your photos, it's hard to make an accurate suggestion.  PM's strengths are Ingest (downloading from the card), sorting, culling, rating, classifying, IPTC captioning (especially using {variables} and Code Replacement, and exporting/uploading.  Once you've winnowed your take and applied metadata (IPTC/XMP) then switch to Aperture for toning/adjusting.  Return to PM when you identify things that it does better/faster than Aperture.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline tommycampbell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Workflows For Using Photo Mechanic With Aperture?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 07:55:32 PM »
I use them both together just about everyday. I also run Aperture with referenced masters. I take photos everyday of the week. Sometimes I may only take 1 or 2, and other days I might take a few hundred. I've been using Photo Mechanic along with Aperture since Oct 2009.

Here's what I do:
When I get home, I put my card in a card reader, Photo Mechanic pops up. I select one my saved saved IPTC Notepad templates and let Photo Mechanic copy the images to my hard drive. Once thats complete, I quickly sort through the photos, deleting the ones I don't want. Then I add photo specific metadata and ratings to all the remaining photos. Then I geotag all my photos from within Photo Mechanic. Once I've done all that, I import into Aperture for editing/printing/publishing/sharing.

I make very heavy use of keywords and other IPTC metadata. I have yet to find a better, faster way to do all that than with Photo Mechanic. I do almost all my metadata editing in Photo Mechanic. Another great thing to add to this mix is TextExpander. I created snippets for all my most used keywords and other metadata. Now I just have to type something like ,val and it gets expanded to valentines day. This makes key-wording very fast and cuts down on spelling errors.

The only issue I've come across is if I import some photos into Aperture, geotag them in Photo Mechanic, go back to Aperture and tell it to re-read the metadata from the master, it doesn't pick up the new geo data.

I say download the trial version and give it a go. Make sure to play around with the IPTC Stationary Pad.