Author Topic: FTP transfert : auto-zip all pictures  (Read 8068 times)

Offline jcduss

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
FTP transfert : auto-zip all pictures
« on: November 05, 2010, 06:32:31 AM »
Hello, when i want to send pictures to a contact who don't have an ftp account on my server, i do i manualy, and i send him by my an HTTP link on my server.
if I have to send many picture, i make a .zip file.

i think it's not possible in PM to select picures and send it in .zip file on the server

i would be awsome !
what do you think about it

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: FTP transfert : auto-zip all pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 06:39:02 AM »
Hello, when i want to send pictures to a contact who don't have an ftp account on my server, i do i manualy, and i send him by my an HTTP link on my server.

i think it's not possible in PM to select picures and send it in .zip file on the server

True, there is no zip-send capability.  Seems like a good idea though.  I've been thinking of adding a more generic feature like being able to select images, right-click on one of them and then choose 'Make ZIP archive from selection...'  Then one could select the ZIP archive and do various operations such as copying, moving, or uploading.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 06:40:45 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline jcduss

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:39:49 AM »
yes ! that would be perfect !  :)

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 11:18:24 AM »
This would be a very useful addition.

It has been requested before:  http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4377.msg19942

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 12:28:30 AM »

True, there is no zip-send capability.  Seems like a good idea though.  I've been thinking of adding a more generic feature like being able to select images, right-click on one of them and then choose 'Make ZIP archive from selection...'  Then one could select the ZIP archive and do various operations such as copying, moving, or uploading.

-Kirk

This seems like adding to MP the OS included option to make a ZIP. This is a good idea as well, but combining ZIP and the FTP feature would be great.

Either FTP could be an output of the ZIP compress, or ZIP compress could be an option in the FTP dialog (maybe add e-mail as well to the list). But it would speed things up if one needs only to select the photos and tell PM where to put the ZIP instead of having to wait until the ZIP is compressed then select it and start another action to send/upload it.

I could imagine it also the ZIP wouldn't stay on the computer just temporarily generated for the time it is being sent, then deleted like it is done with temporary images during the FTP transfer.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 11:57:58 AM »
Kirk,
I think that would be a great feature. You see, I like to do everything I can from the contact sheet view in PM (saving, copying, burning a CD, sending by mail, etc) and sometimes I need to create a zip file in order to send larger photos.

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 08:57:29 AM »
I too add my voice to such a feature as I ZIP files regularly and upload via Transmit FTP instead of PM.

Hugo Aubert
www.igraphmedia.com
PM 4.6.6 on MacPro and MacBookPro 10.5.8

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 10:36:30 PM »
I'd use the Zip feature if/when it came about, but wonder if seeing a "Save As" feature rather than a combined set for Zip+FTP.  That way we'll have the choice of emailing or uploading the folder.

~ craig pulsifer
Salmon Arm, BC

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 05:32:56 AM »
I'd use the Zip feature if/when it came about, but wonder if seeing a "Save As" feature rather than a combined set for Zip+FTP.  That way we'll have the choice of emailing or uploading the folder.

~ craig pulsifer
Salmon Arm, BC

Maybe adding an "Auto compress/ZIP files" checkbox to all the Save As, Send via e-mail, FTP and other such options would be worth.
However for example in case of e-mailing a split archive option would be very much needed. Much more than for an FTP.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
Maybe adding an "Auto compress/ZIP files" checkbox to all the Save As, Send via e-mail, FTP and other such options would be worth.

Good idea ... add my vote.

Deven