Author Topic: Restoring IPTC Dialog Setting .snap files to a WIN 7 64-bit machine  (Read 3179 times)

Offline MMS Photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I had Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 installed on a Windows Vista 64-bit machine and to back up, copied all the .snap files in the IPTC Dialog Setting folder. Where (which path/folder) would I copy them to on my new Windows 7 64-bit machine so that Photo Mechanic sees them and can use them on ingest?
Thanks,
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Restoring IPTC Dialog Setting .snap files to a WIN 7 64-bit machine
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 01:01:33 PM »
Michael,

I had Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 installed on a Windows Vista 64-bit machine and to back up, copied all the .snap files in the IPTC Dialog Setting folder. Where (which path/folder) would I copy them to on my new Windows 7 64-bit machine so that Photo Mechanic sees them and can use them on ingest?

It's easier to use the Export and Import buttons in the Preferences dialog which will do it all for you.  But since you've got the data already, I'd suggest saving a snapshot from the IPTC dialog, then clicking on the Snapshot button again while holding down the Shift key and choosing the snapshot you just saved.  A Windows Explorer window will come forward with the snapshot selected.  Now just copy your backup files into that same location and you should be good to go.

-Kirk

Offline MMS Photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 01:28:52 PM »
Kirk,
Thanks for the reply.
The import and export buttons only want to import .pmx files, not .snap files.
When you say "saving a snapshot from the IPTC dialog, then clicking on the Snapshot button again while holding down the Shift key and choosing the snapshot you just saved", what's the path to the folder where my "test" snapshot was saved?
Michael 

Offline MMS Photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 01:31:05 PM »
Never mind. Found the folder and copied all my .snap files; all is groovy good. Thanks for the help, Kirk!
Michael
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:33:54 PM by MMS Photo »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »
Michael,

The import and export buttons only want to import .pmx files, not .snap files.

I understand that you've solved your issue already, but for others that may read this thread:

You would use the Export button on your 'old' machine, selecting the various preferences you wish to transfer.  A PMX file would be created.  Then you'd copy the PMX file from the old machine to the 'new' machine and then use the Import button on the new machine, choosing the PMX file you transferred over.

Snapshots, and other settings would be now put in the right places on your new machine.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline MMS Photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 05:27:14 AM »
Kirk,
Leave it to me do it the hard, backwards or complicated way!
A part of my "backup" scheme was to just copy the folders so that I could copy them back to a folder and overwrite the old one, but Photo Mechanic already made the backup process easier. I just didn't RTM...
Thanks again for your help!
Michael