Author Topic: Can I rename files according to shooting sequence when ingesting multiple cards?  (Read 4377 times)

Offline Lyle Aspinall

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
As a newspaper photographer, I shoot almost every assignment with two bodies at once, one with an SD card and the other with a CF card. I do this in order to ingest both cards simultaneously, and I don't have a reader with dual CF or SD slots.

The time-of-day on both bodies is synchronized.

Now I want to speed up the process of renaming the files according to overall sequence, and I'm wondering if there's a way to do it on ingest.

As it is right now, I wait for the dual ingest to finish before manually opting to view the files according to Capture Time (I don't set this as the default view option because it slows down the processing time) and then renaming the files with the date, a short word regarding the gig and a sequence starting at 0001. My renaming code is {dats}xxx{seqn}.

Does anyone know of a way to speed up this process, so that the files combining out of two bodies will automatically rename sequentially?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Lyle,

As a newspaper photographer, I shoot almost every assignment with two bodies at once, one with an SD card and the other with a CF card. I do this in order to ingest both cards simultaneously, and I don't have a reader with dual CF or SD slots.

The time-of-day on both bodies is synchronized.

Now I want to speed up the process of renaming the files according to overall sequence, and I'm wondering if there's a way to do it on ingest.

As it is right now, I wait for the dual ingest to finish before manually opting to view the files according to Capture Time (I don't set this as the default view option because it slows down the processing time) and then renaming the files with the date, a short word regarding the gig and a sequence starting at 0001. My renaming code is {dats}xxx{seqn}.

Does anyone know of a way to speed up this process, so that the files combining out of two bodies will automatically rename sequentially?

There is no way to do that during Ingest since there is no guaranteed order that the images arrive at your hard drive.  The two Ingests run in parallel and do not have any 'knowledge' of each other.

The way you're doing it is the best way that I know of.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
That's exactly how I do it as well.  It gives me the chance to quickly weed out obvious clunkers that I don't need to keep and rename too.

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
Lyle,
If both your cameras are perfectly time synced,
and if you rename your files upon ingest using a time variable,
such as {hour24}-{minute}-{second}-{subsecond}
then all your files, when sorted by filename, will always be displayed in their proper sequence. (assuming you ingest all images into the same folder, or view several image folders together)
This way you have a way to quickly see your whole take in sequence, and later, after the rush of deadline, etc., you can rename with sequence if you so wish.

The only thing about the {subsecond} variable is that I read that some cameras don't support it.
best,
Nati