Author Topic: Nikon RAW and JPEGs no longer linked in contact sheet or renaming  (Read 2080 times)

Offline peterstranks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello

For years now, the best part of Photo Mechanic was that the JPEGs and Nikon D3 RAWs I shot stayed together in the contact sheet and throughout the renaming process. They still do for my Canon G10.

For some reason they are separate now, despite having set it correctly in my preferences. Also, if I delete an image, it doesn't go to the trash but stays in the original folder. It also leaves a gray frame in the contact sheet where it used to be. I upgraded to 4.6.6 recently but this is new. I am running a Mac 2 X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon with 11 Gb RAM and OZ X 10.5.8.

Do you know what is going on?

Thanks

p

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Nikon RAW and JPEGs no longer linked in contact sheet or renaming
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:48:25 AM »
Hello

For years now, the best part of Photo Mechanic was that the JPEGs and Nikon D3 RAWs I shot stayed together in the contact sheet and throughout the renaming process. They still do for my Canon G10.

For some reason they are separate now, despite having set it correctly in my preferences. Also, if I delete an image, it doesn't go to the trash but stays in the original folder. It also leaves a gray frame in the contact sheet where it used to be. I upgraded to 4.6.6 recently but this is new. I am running a Mac 2 X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon with 11 Gb RAM and OZ X 10.5.8.

Do you know what is going on?

Do the RAW and the JPEG have the exact same base name?

Could you post a screenshot of the thumbnails before you delete one and another screenshot after the delete?

Use the 'Additional Options...' link to upload your screenshots when you're composing your reply.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline peterstranks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:41:10 PM »
Hi

They have the same baseline and I will try to post the screen shot for you.

Thanks

p

Offline peterstranks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 12:00:33 AM »
Hello Again

In the Screenshot Before, you can see JPEGs of images. These are what was left over from when I deleted them as NEFs and JPEGs in the contact sheet. I hadn't realized that the JPEGs stayed until now. I deleted them now and you see the result in the Screenshot After. When I selected them and deleted, it took about two minutes for the images to disappear.

From the third screenshot, showing the files, one can see how the non deleted are renamed as I wanted and the deleted images don't move to the trash as they used to but hang about in the same folder. Also, the images that are renamed and bounce JPEG to Raw, are the same image, yet instead of keeping the same number, which allows me to match my JPEGs to RAWs for subsequent work, now they are different numbers and almost useless from a cataloging retrieval point of view.

Thanks

p

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 06:34:33 AM »
Peter,

In the Screenshot Before, you can see JPEGs of images. These are what was left over from when I deleted them as NEFs and JPEGs in the contact sheet. I hadn't realized that the JPEGs stayed until now. I deleted them now and you see the result in the Screenshot After. When I selected them and deleted, it took about two minutes for the images to disappear.

From the third screenshot, showing the files, one can see how the non deleted are renamed as I wanted and the deleted images don't move to the trash as they used to but hang about in the same folder. Also, the images that are renamed and bounce JPEG to Raw, are the same image, yet instead of keeping the same number, which allows me to match my JPEGs to RAWs for subsequent work, now they are different numbers and almost useless from a cataloging retrieval point of view.

I'm still not understanding what's going on.  I would like a screenshot (use JPEG format next time, please) showing the RAW files and JPEG files being not joined up, before you do any operation to them.  That is what you described in the first post.  Also, if you can send me a couple of sample files that will reproduce the issue, that would be even better.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk