Author Topic: Painfully slow to do anything....  (Read 3310 times)

Offline bddorsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Painfully slow to do anything....
« on: November 16, 2010, 07:26:02 AM »
Running PM4.6.6 on Windows7 Pro on an HP Pavilion Elite with 12G RAM

Performance all around with PM is PAINFULLY slow.   On certain machines in my office PM can take anywhere from 15 to 60 seconds to launch.   Just launching the Navigator window can take 50 seconds.  All other apps run zippy comparitively including Lightroom 3.2.

Not running any anti virus s/w.  Tried all difference settings on preferences with Cache, etc. etc.

any suggestions.  Its really become unusable.

Thanks for your help.

~bd

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Painfully slow to do anything....
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 07:47:21 AM »
Running PM4.6.6 on Windows7 Pro on an HP Pavilion Elite with 12G RAM

Performance all around with PM is PAINFULLY slow.   On certain machines in my office PM can take anywhere from 15 to 60 seconds to launch.   Just launching the Navigator window can take 50 seconds.  All other apps run zippy comparitively including Lightroom 3.2.

Not running any anti virus s/w.  Tried all difference settings on preferences with Cache, etc. etc.

Not sure what you mean by 'launching the Navigator window'?  Do you have a bunch of network drives?  Perhaps scanning them is what is taking the time.

-Kirk

Offline bddorsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 09:06:55 AM »
Hi Kirk -

I meant going View/Navigator and awaiting the opening of the Navigator window.  (since it's the only way to view the contents of multiple subfolders)
We do have a few network drives.  Is there a way to get PM more responsive with them? 

Thanks again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 09:37:03 AM »
I meant going View/Navigator and awaiting the opening of the Navigator window.  (since it's the only way to view the contents of multiple subfolders)
We do have a few network drives.  Is there a way to get PM more responsive with them? 

Don't you have the Navigator window always on?  Is it not staying open between launches?

To rule out (or implicate) the Navigator, how about disconnecting all Network drives and see if the speed improves or stays the same?

Let me know what you find.

-Kirk

Offline bddorsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 02:02:25 PM »
i keep the Navigator window closed since it has always caused significant slowdowns - even when the rest of PM seemed relatively responsive.
Tried disconnecting the box from the network and still got the painful results. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 02:33:58 PM »
i keep the Navigator window closed since it has always caused significant slowdowns - even when the rest of PM seemed relatively responsive.
Tried disconnecting the box from the network and still got the painful results. 

I suggest calling our support folks.  Troubleshooting over the phone is far faster than over the forums.  Call them at 503-547-2888

-Kirk

Offline bddorsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 07:53:26 AM »
will do.  thanks, kirk!