Author Topic: No EXIF  (Read 6063 times)

Offline efflux

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
No EXIF
« on: September 14, 2006, 08:47:29 PM »
I'm testing out the Photo Mechanic demo but I don't get any EXIF info with RAW photos already on my system. However when I use Photo Mechanic to get the photos from my card reader I do get this info. I'm using a Canon EOS 300D. The Canon software gives me all EXIF info from any RAW photo file.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: No EXIF
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 09:46:00 PM »
I'm testing out the Photo Mechanic demo but I don't get any EXIF info with RAW photos already on my system. However when I use Photo Mechanic to get the photos from my card reader I do get this info. I'm using a Canon EOS 300D. The Canon software gives me all EXIF info from any RAW photo file.

If you would like to send me one of the files that does not work properly, I'd be happy to investigate what is going on.

Have the older files been modified in any way?  One thing to note is that there are standard EXIF tags, and there are Maker Notes which are camera/manufacturer specific which often duplicate the standard EXIF tags.  It is entirely possible that there isn't much EXIF information left in the photos, and that the Canon software is showing you the values from their proprietary Maker Notes.

Either way, I'd be happy to take a look at one of your files.  Contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message.  I'll give you instructions on how to upload to our server.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline efflux

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 07:26:29 AM »
OK. Thanks for the reply. The latest thing I have noticed is that only programs that download files of type .THM from the flash card (Photo Mechanic does this) allow the info about my camera settings for each RAW photo to be displayed even if those programs themselves can never display info (because they appear to be looking at EXIF e.g. Graphics Convertor). iPhoto does not appear to be downloading these .THM files but does create jpgs which do then supply some but not all info (not enough) about camera settings so the older RAW shots I have downloaded with iPhoto display no camera settings info unless I include the jpgs which don't include all the camera info anyway.

Just to add to this message. Do you still want me to send a RAW file? It actually now appears to me that there is no EXIF info in them.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 07:31:06 AM by efflux »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 08:19:26 AM »
OK. Thanks for the reply. The latest thing I have noticed is that only programs that download files of type .THM from the flash card (Photo Mechanic does this) allow the info about my camera settings for each RAW photo to be displayed even if those programs themselves can never display info (because they appear to be looking at EXIF e.g. Graphics Convertor). iPhoto does not appear to be downloading these .THM files but does create jpgs which do then supply some but not all info (not enough) about camera settings so the older RAW shots I have downloaded with iPhoto display no camera settings info unless I include the jpgs which don't include all the camera info anyway.

Just to add to this message. Do you still want me to send a RAW file? It actually now appears to me that there is no EXIF info in them.

I didn't realize you were talking about CRW files.  Yes, the THM file that goes along with it contains the EXIF data.  So if both files are present and you still don't see much information then, yes I'd like you to upload the pair of them to our server.

If everything is fine when both files are present then I don't need to see them.

Thanks,

-Kirk