Author Topic: Searching sub folders  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Molls-Phot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Searching sub folders
« on: November 23, 2010, 11:45:59 AM »
I'm new to PM having just bought it after a trial period. The first question I have is regarding the search facility and not being able to find things in sub folders inside a root folder. The question was raised on this forum in Decemebr 2006. The answer given then was that PM was a browser and not a catologue system, but it was coming in due course. As far as I can see it still isn't possible. What's the latest on this matter?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Searching sub folders
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 02:05:42 PM »
I'm new to PM having just bought it after a trial period. The first question I have is regarding the search facility and not being able to find things in sub folders inside a root folder. The question was raised on this forum in Decemebr 2006. The answer given then was that PM was a browser and not a catologue system, but it was coming in due course. As far as I can see it still isn't possible. What's the latest on this matter?

All you have to do is open the folder and its sub-folders into a single contact sheet and then do your Find operation.

As for cataloging:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4379.msg27699

-Kirk

Offline Molls-Phot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 02:46:53 AM »
It's good to know that it's being worked on. For me the search/find function is pretty redundant at the moment if it can't look inside folders.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:07:36 AM »
It's good to know that it's being worked on. For me the search/find function is pretty redundant at the moment if it can't look inside folders.

It can.  All you have to do is open the folder and its sub-folders into a single contact sheet tab.  You can do this from the Favorites or Navigator by right-clicking on the parent folder and choosing one of the 'Open Folder and Sub-folders' options.  It may not be the most efficient way to do things but it will get the job done.

-Kirk

Offline Molls-Phot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 02:17:27 PM »
Thanks Kirk, I'll check it out...