Poll : button on the window to start the stationery pad

Yeees
4 (23.5%)
yes but let me choose if it has to be  shown
4 (23.5%)
No
9 (52.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: button for iptc stationery pad  (Read 8649 times)

Offline paparaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • my site
button for iptc stationery pad
« on: March 08, 2012, 07:56:18 AM »
I think it would be very useful, i wonder  if other people would
Paparaz
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:31:51 AM by paparaz »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: button for iptc stationery pad
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 03:19:29 PM »
I guess this could be useful to some. However, personally I think having the keyboard shortcut CMD/CTRL+I is useful enough already.

Just my two cents,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline paparaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:06:38 AM »
I guess this could be useful to some. However, personally I think having the keyboard shortcut CMD/CTRL+I is useful enough already.

Ok, but this mean that you agree, there are people who don't like to play the piano 3 people out of 9  think it would be a good thing
one thinks it could be useful  to some.

when i call the stationery pad  i have to look where i put my finger and leave the mouse, i find it  not user friendly at all
paparaz

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:59:26 AM »
i have to look where i put my finger and leave the mouse, i find it  not user friendly at all

I (for myself!!!) hate it to leave the keyboard (except for cropping)

Just my 2 cents
Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline paparaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:35:34 AM »
Ok, I do believe you are very good with the keyboard , you are what i call (with no bad meaning )  a pianist.
Having said that, i'd reckon you are using a mac. Mac use to have only one button on the mouse, and people got used to become master with the use of keyboard.
I started with pc and even if in the last 15 years I tried, also very hard, a Mac i never got used to it and i'd always  go back to pc. Simply when you start one way is difficult to change  habitudes. (don't wanna start a mac pc  war)
I always used more the mouse than the keyboard.

But still even if you don't  find the need, would  you believe other people  would?
I believe you pianists  don't need it, I wish i was good at the keyboard as you are..
but I am sorry, I am not , and  I'm asking your support for my Handycap
paparaz 

Offline paparaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 05:06:48 AM »
 ::) ;D
Hi  guys, sorry if my campaign for the  button enabling the stationery pad is boring you to death .
 I tried to  understand the point of other people, people thinking is not useful and they don't want to see it anywhere in the window.

I agree ... it must be very ugly to see it anywhere around my monitor, that would change definitely my way of looking at my pics.
I cannot see any other reason for not putting it. So i might change my vote, and ask to have a hidden button . Which cold be seen
only with special glasses...
 please people: vote, vote, vote
paparaz

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 06:35:34 AM »
Interesting, though personally I do not see a big benefit for the button, I did vote for the second option (for the button, but only if I can choose not to show it). Guess most people don't even want that as the votes are really against adding the feature for now. Sorry.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline paparaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • my site
8 PEOPLE AGAINST IT...
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 03:16:22 AM »
  8 people against such a feature is quite a lot ...
They would'nt use it, so the only reasons to vote against it not  to let other people use it.
8 to 2
I think i will give up, i Love Voltaire 
(quote) "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

So if you think that is really so bad  to see that ugly button that would make my day, and you, who are not using it, wouldn't give a s*** about it.
 I' sorry to have wasted your  time
it's just becouse this could have made my workflow easier. But this  not  the point, is it?
Only two people out of  8 think this would do.
in democracy when you vote  you have  to respect the results.
paparaz

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 8 PEOPLE AGAINST IT...
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 06:44:17 AM »
Paparaz,

8 people against such a feature is quite a lot ...
They would'nt use it, so the only reasons to vote against it not  to let other people use it.
8 to 2
I think i will give up, i Love Voltaire 
(quote) "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

So if you think that is really so bad  to see that ugly button that would make my day, and you, who are not using it, wouldn't give a s*** about it.
 I' sorry to have wasted your  time
it's just becouse this could have made my workflow easier. But this  not  the point, is it?
Only two people out of  8 think this would do.
in democracy when you vote  you have  to respect the results.

My issues with this request are:

1) It requires new artwork resources.  We don't have an artist on staff.
2) On the Mac the toolbar is customizable.  On Windows the toolbar is not customizable.

So there you have it.  A couple of barriers to implementation that we just don't have the time to surmount right now.  I think it would indeed be useful and would implement it if I could simply ask for a new icon and the toolbars were customizable on both platforms.  Time is just too short right now.

Sorry.

-Kirk

Offline paparaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 08:58:16 AM »
Ok I see,
What about let me change  the  burn label? No art work for that or the ftp or  the print  and colour management ,
 those are a buttons  that i push only once or when i finish my work and  i wouldnt mind to push ctrl+u for the ftp
Is it custumizable on the mac becouse is the mac which let you do it or you focused more on it? And left behind 90 % of the computer around ?
Mister kirk I love your work but ther are many ways to get over this little issue  without  too much work.
let custmize the shortcuts or just make  a double choice, ctrl+I is complicate what about Tab or double ctrl or \, keys which are easy to be reached.
Ctrl+I it's complicate
This is the software, people who uses it , uses it  to fill the iptc. It doesn't  optmize colors it doesn't do a lot of things becouse it's made to do that thing well.
Well i can't reach the stationery pad with one click but i can burn discs and ftp files or print and acivate color management.
Is it really artwork needed?
paparaz

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 09:38:52 AM »
Paparaz,

What about let me change  the  burn label? No art work for that or the ftp or  the print  and colour management ,
 those are a buttons  that i push only once or when i finish my work and  i wouldnt mind to push ctrl+u for the ftp

Without a customizable toolbar on Windows, this change would be a change for everyone, not just you.

Quote from: paparaz
Is it custumizable on the mac becouse is the mac which let you do it or you focused more on it? And left behind 90 % of the computer around ?

Customizable toolbars on the Mac are a freebie.  On Windows there is more effort.

We don't have the time right now.

-Kirk