Author Topic: Image Processing by file size  (Read 7873 times)

Offline Ziggy487

• View Profile
Image Processing by file size
« on: November 25, 2010, 03:27:36 PM »
It has been over a year, so I like to re-request this.  It would really help out.

In the FTP As, in the Image Processing, we can scare to a box or percentage or set the Resolution.  How about being able to set a limit to the file size and a choice on how to downsize, either Scaling or resolution.

Since I have 1 company that likes files around 3.3mb, and an other that needs them around 2mb.

FYI, i am using version 4.6.6.

Happy turkey Day

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Re: Image Processing by file size
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 03:13:50 PM »
It has been over a year, so I like to re-request this.  It would really help out.

In the FTP As, in the Image Processing, we can scare to a box or percentage or set the Resolution.  How about being able to set a limit to the file size and a choice on how to downsize, either Scaling or resolution.

Since I have 1 company that likes files around 3.3mb, and an other that needs them around 2mb.

FYI, i am using version 4.6.6.

Happy turkey Day

Hi,
I would also like to do that, even when "saving as". It would be a very useful feature.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline APN

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 05:13:05 AM »
Yes it will be very good we need our photos between 800kb and 1.2 mb and I am working the most times with 2 Kameras with difference dissolutions and then if i make a ecerpt the photolarge is so difference, the most photos im must open later in photoshop and save they there...

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 06:47:37 AM »
This feature has been requested many times and Kirk has the same answer to it every time: PM now checks the size of the first image estimates what compression it would need to produce the desired filesize and uses that compression for all files selected.
If PM would do this estimate for all files one-by-one then it would slow down the whole process of saving files.

I hope it will get implemented one day at least to have it as an option.

Until then all you can do is:
1. Set the desired  filesize by PhotoShop
2. Set up Lightroom export to produce filesizes in the desired range (as I notused it works only on Mac not on Win).
3. Group your fotos by size and resolution and select them in groups with similar sizes so estimates by PM will be almost the same for all files and send the files in more than one round.

For me number 2 worked out quite well on the Mac, but I did not find the limit filesize option on the Windows version of Ligthroom at all....and some of you don't use Mac.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline BlueDevilHH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 08:16:42 PM »
This feature has been requested many times and Kirk has the same answer to it every time: PM now checks the size of the first image estimates what compression it would need to produce the desired filesize and uses that compression for all files selected.

That's NOT what the users need. Would be better to analyze EVERY selected picture, reduce the resolution to a choosed size and transfer them one by one.
Today the performance of the computers are high enouth to do this very fast. Should be the shortest time of the hole transfer process. Otherwise you have to get every picture, move the slider to the wished size and start the transfer...this needs much more time than calculating a fixed size for every picture.

Can you give us this feature in PM 5, please? Maybe as an option?

Thanks for supporting us photographers!

Mario

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 08:35:23 PM »
Mario,

That's NOT what the users need. Would be better to analyze EVERY selected picture, reduce the resolution to a choosed size and transfer them one by one.
Today the performance of the computers are high enouth to do this very fast. Should be the shortest time of the hole transfer process. Otherwise you have to get every picture, move the slider to the wished size and start the transfer...this needs much more time than calculating a fixed size for every picture.

Can you give us this feature in PM 5, please? Maybe as an option?

We expect this feature to be present in PM 5.

-Kirk

Offline BlueDevilHH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 08:44:09 PM »
Great!

Thanks for your support, Kirk!

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography