Author Topic: Code replacement complete explanation  (Read 4602 times)

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
Code replacement complete explanation
« on: November 27, 2010, 09:22:04 AM »
Hello Kirk,

I read many threads on code replacement in this forum. You answer most of them patiently. I'm using CR as many PM users but somehow feel that we could all benefit from a detailed explanation in a future update of the manual or in the Code Replacement section of the forum.

CR is a powerful tool and many of the more advance features are sometimes explained in your answers. I feel that a complete round-up of the features and possibilities of CR (with more examples than what shown in the manual) would benefit all users and possibly make you work a bit less.

Best regards,

Hugo Aubert
www.igraphmedia.com
PM 4.6.6 on MacPro and MacBookPro 10.5.8

Offline emccainaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Code replacement complete explanation
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 03:17:01 PM »
I second this motion!

Edward McCain
Center for Creative Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 03:18:49 PM »
I second this motion!

Edward McCain
Center for Creative Photography

The upcoming V5 manual will have more explanation and additional examples.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »
By the way PM might have inspired Apple to include a very similar feature in both iOS and OSX. I discovered it by accident when I saw Lion replaces all of the (R) marks in my captions to the ® symbol.
Of course PM is much easier to handle and more efficient but in certain cases the Apple way can be helpful as well - especially on a mobile device.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 10:26:34 PM »
Not wishing to take anything away from PM, it's code replacement is a very useful and powerful tool; but text expansion/code replacement applications have been around for a very long time.

I've been using a utility called TypeIt4Me on my Macs for nearly 20 years. Excellent at saving time when typing frequently used phrases, or passages of boilerplate text, in any app.
If you like PM's 'code replacement' and 'variables' features, I'd seriously look into one of these excellent utilities for use in all your other apps.

A couple of simple examples of mine:
  • When I create folders for filing images, I simply type "dtfe" when naming the folder (mnemonic: dated folder edits), which expands to "20121222 Edits".
  • In an email to instruct my clients about their PM exported web gallery, I type "uplz" (mnemonic: upload zip), which expands to:-

I've uploaded the photos to an online gallery where you can preview the pictures, and follow the links (under the large preview images) to download the original hi-res files. Please point your web browser to:
<cursor is automatically placed here after text expansion, for me to then type in the url>

There's also a 'zip' file that can be downloaded from the gallery. This contains all the photos in a single download, saving you the tedious job of visiting each individual preview page and downloading the photos one-by-one.

Any problems, please let me know ASAP.

All the very best.

Cheers,
Tony

As I say, if you like the way PM automates repetitive tasks, you'll probably also love one of these utilities. Completely customiseable, simple to use and a massive time saver (especially for poor typists, like myself!).

Cheers,
Tony

(Apologies to mods if this is too far off topic, but I thought it might be useful. Please feel free to delete.)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 12:16:24 AM »
Tony,

As I say, if you like the way PM automates repetitive tasks, you'll probably also love one of these utilities. Completely customiseable, simple to use and a massive time saver (especially for poor typists, like myself!).

Cheers,
Tony

(Apologies to mods if this is too far off topic, but I thought it might be useful. Please feel free to delete.)

Nope, perfectly fine.  There is life outside of PM after all.  I use TextExpander on the Mac and it is very useful.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 10:21:05 AM »
I've been using a utility called TypeIt4Me on my Macs for nearly 20 years. Excellent at saving time when typing frequently used phrases, or passages of boilerplate text, in any app.

I'm currently fine with what Mountain Lion has on this field but I might look into it too. Thanks for the idea.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 09:50:15 AM »
Hi, Kirk
I admit that I do not use CR as much as I could because I don't really know how to.
I also look forward to a new version of the manual that covers this in detail.
TIA,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 01:42:06 AM »
Hi, Kirk
I admit that I do not use CR as much as I could because I don't really know how to.
I also look forward to a new version of the manual that covers this in detail.
TIA,

-Luiz Muzzi

I think it is not that complicated and it can be a great help in many ways. It's worth experimenting with it.
Allways shooting RAW.