Author Topic: Make it run faster on Windows 7  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Rongway

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Make it run faster on Windows 7
« on: November 28, 2010, 04:25:12 PM »
I made a few changes as suggested by Camera Bits but still PM drags considerably compared to Breezebrowser on my PC.  I hate to keep harping on this but while it does do some things I like, Photo Mechanic needs more tweeking for windows use. 

Having one of the PM tech guys tell me to use it on a Mac because it would run faster was not a very confidence inspiring thing to hear.  And for all you Apple fanboys, it's not about Mac vs PC because I have both of them and the PC is much more logical and friendly to use so please don't try to take it there if you can help it.  Just my observation.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Make it run faster on Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »
I made a few changes as suggested by Camera Bits but still PM drags considerably compared to Breezebrowser on my PC.  I hate to keep harping on this but while it does do some things I like, Photo Mechanic needs more tweeking for windows use. 

Having one of the PM tech guys tell me to use it on a Mac because it would run faster was not a very confidence inspiring thing to hear.  And for all you Apple fanboys, it's not about Mac vs PC because I have both of them and the PC is much more logical and friendly to use so please don't try to take it there if you can help it.  Just my observation.

I would never tell you what OS platform to use.  Frankly I'm surprised that someone from Camera Bits suggested that you use a Mac.  I'll have a word with the tech support folks tomorrow.

How much RAM do you have?  How fast is your computer?  Do you have any applications that 'free up' memory in other applications?  If so, either stop using them, or tell them to ignore PM.
What are your PM Caching settings?

What part of PM is slow on your machine?  Initially opening a contact sheet?  Previewing images?  Applying metadata?  Printing?
How many megapixels on average do your images have?

You'll just have to be more specific about what is going on.  Without that information, I really can't be of much help.  Please answer all of my questions as directly as you can.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
Re: Make it run faster on Windows 7
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 10:11:29 AM »
For whatever its worth I have PM 4.6.6 running on Win7 64-bit, 12GB Ram, i7-930 CPU and it's rocket fast.

I just loaded 20k + images in a single contact sheet - load time 10 seconds.  Upon loading, I can scroll through the thumbs as fast as I can tap the down arrow key, if I go super fast I can get a little ahead of the program but the thumbs appear in less than 1 sec.  If I double click to produce a preview, I can then zoom through full size previews as fast as I can tap the arrow keys.  More ordinary size contact sheets, say 4-5k images or less, load and operate virtually instantaneously.

PM could not load or run fast with big contact sheets on my prior computer running 32-bit XP Pro with 4GB RAM but with small contact sheets, say 1k images or less, it was just as fast.  So I don't think Win7 has anything to do with PM's speed, its rocket fast on XP and Win7 (never used Vista).  The huge increase in RAM available in 64-bit Win7 allows me to work with much bigger contact sheets and still run rocket fast.

Bill Wood