Author Topic: Editing raw images selected with PM  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Melissa Wade

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Editing raw images selected with PM
« on: September 25, 2006, 12:40:24 PM »
Windows XP Pro, PS CS2, Canon

When I open multiple raw images directly in PS CS2 (or via Bridge), I get a strip of thumbnails down one side and then the main image and controls.  I can then work on the thumbnails, go back and forth between them to choose between takes, etc. 

When I open multiple raw images via Edit Photos in PM, I get one image at a time - must edit it and decide whether to save it or not before I can move on to the next.  Not only does this limit my ability to compare multiple takes of the "same" image, but it also causes problems if I need to stop working while in the middle of it (can either hit cancel on every remaining image or use task manager to kill Photoshop).

Since I didn't see any threads about this, I'm guessing I'm missing something very simple, but it drives me nuts enough that I've taken to using rename on my PM selected group and then going over to Photoshop and using open file there.

thanks,
-Melissa

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Editing raw images selected with PM
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 01:57:16 PM »
Melissa,

Windows XP Pro, PS CS2, Canon

When I open multiple raw images directly in PS CS2 (or via Bridge), I get a strip of thumbnails down one side and then the main image and controls.  I can then work on the thumbnails, go back and forth between them to choose between takes, etc. 

When I open multiple raw images via Edit Photos in PM, I get one image at a time - must edit it and decide whether to save it or not before I can move on to the next.  Not only does this limit my ability to compare multiple takes of the "same" image, but it also causes problems if I need to stop working while in the middle of it (can either hit cancel on every remaining image or use task manager to kill Photoshop).

Since I didn't see any threads about this, I'm guessing I'm missing something very simple, but it drives me nuts enough that I've taken to using rename on my PM selected group and then going over to Photoshop and using open file there.

It works fine for me.  You didn't say which version of Photo Mechanic that you're running, and I'm running 4.4.3.3.

Make sure that you have set Photoshop.exe as the editor for CR2 files.  You can do this by opening up the Preferences dialog in Photo Mechanic, then click on the Launching tab.  Then click on the "Set..." button that is across from the text that reads: "Assign specific editing applications for each file type:".  Scroll down to ".CR2" and select it.  Then click on the "Choose..." button.  Find your installed copy of Photoshop, select it and click on the "Open" button.  Then click on the "OK" button to close the dialog.  Then click on the "OK" button to save your preferences.

Select several CR2 files.  Then use the "Edit Photos" command on the "Image" menu.  They should all open in the ACR dialog in the thumbnail strip.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

-Kirk

Offline Melissa Wade

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Editing raw images selected with PM
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 06:24:24 PM »
Thank you - that took care of it.  I assumed since Photoshop was opening them that that part of it was fine.