Author Topic: Using PhotoMechanic to Add IPTC Data to Lightroom Modified Files?  (Read 3561 times)

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
I shot a boxing card, downloaded my .CR2's, pre-created my IPTC data files, culled and renamed and totally forgot to apply the IPTC data. I then processed the files in Lightroom making numerous adjustments.  Now I would like to add the IPTC data to the .CR2's but I believe that if I do so I will re-write the .xmp files and lose all my LR modifications.  Is there a way to ask PhotoMechanic to ADD IPTC data rather than replacing the .xmp file? I am on the current version of PM and LR 3.2.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Using PhotoMechanic to Add IPTC Data to Lightroom Modified Files?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:17:04 PM »
I shot a boxing card, downloaded my .CR2's, pre-created my IPTC data files, culled and renamed and totally forgot to apply the IPTC data. I then processed the files in Lightroom making numerous adjustments.  Now I would like to add the IPTC data to the .CR2's but I believe that if I do so I will re-write the .xmp files and lose all my LR modifications.  Is there a way to ask PhotoMechanic to ADD IPTC data rather than replacing the .xmp file? I am on the current version of PM and LR 3.2.

PM won't wipe out your settings.  It will only add additional XMP data to the existing sidecar file.

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 04:24:32 PM »
So, I can open a folder of .CR2's, select them all and click Apply Stationary Pad to selected images, and it will only add data?  I was pretty sure I did that once and lost the LR changes ... but I am notoriously bad memory-wise.  I'll give it a test run.  Thanks for the super quick response!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 04:52:21 PM »
So, I can open a folder of .CR2's, select them all and click Apply Stationary Pad to selected images, and it will only add data?

Correct.  If it wipes out data then that would be a serious bug.  Just make sure you never ask PM to embed XMP data into your RAW files when working with Adobe products and you should be fine.  Only use XMP sidecar files.

-Kirk