Author Topic: Camera serial number info missing  (Read 9806 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Camera serial number info missing
« on: December 06, 2010, 11:27:51 PM »
Is it correct that Canon removed the serial number info returned by the {snum} variable from the EOS 60D models? I have been testing one and it does not seem to return any {snum} value. Just like with the G10 and other compact cameras.

{snum} is important in my workflow because I use it to identify which of my cameras took a given image. I convert it into a body identifier and if it is missing it screws up my workflow. - Unless I skip using EOS 60D cameras.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Camera serial number info missing
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 06:33:05 AM »
Szurkebarat,

Is it correct that Canon removed the serial number info returned by the {snum} variable from the EOS 60D models? I have been testing one and it does not seem to return any {snum} value. Just like with the G10 and other compact cameras.

{snum} is important in my workflow because I use it to identify which of my cameras took a given image. I convert it into a body identifier and if it is missing it screws up my workflow. - Unless I skip using EOS 60D cameras.

It's unlikely that it has been removed entirely.  It is more likely that Canon has just obfuscated the serial number again and we would have to figure out how to 'find' it again.  Do you have any sample images you could share?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 02:50:15 AM »
Hi, everybody.
Canon lens date codes are also missing in new lenses. See below what appeared in The-Digital-Picture.com on November 11, 2010:
"Many of you have used this site's Canon Lens Date Code Lookup page to determine when your Canon lens was manufactured. I regret to inform you that this ability may be disappearing from the Canon scene.
I have been getting reports (thanks for them) for a while now that the latest Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM Lenses are being produced without the date code and with a longer 10-digit serial number. Chuck Westfall (Canon USA) has confirmed that this is indeed the case, but he was not yet able to determine if the longer serial number may have the date code embedded in it.
I welcome any new information in this regard - and will share with you anything I learn. Stay tuned!"

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 08:37:54 AM »
Szurkebarat,

It's unlikely that it has been removed entirely.  It is more likely that Canon has just obfuscated the serial number again and we would have to figure out how to 'find' it again.  Do you have any sample images you could share?

Thanks,

-Kirk

I uploaded a sample file to help you track the needed info.

Is it also possible that Canon compact cameras have the serial number too just with different coding. I experienced the same thing with other smaller cameras. The {snum} variable returns no value for them.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 08:57:41 AM »
szurkebarat,

A possible workaround would be to put the camera's serial number in the "comment" field of the 60D camera,
OR
if you have a unique text string already in the camera's "comment" field, use code replacement, and substitute that unique string with the camera's serial number in your favorite IPTC/XMP field

N

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 03:33:44 AM »
szurkebarat,

A possible workaround would be to put the camera's serial number in the "comment" field of the 60D camera,
OR
if you have a unique text string already in the camera's "comment" field, use code replacement, and substitute that unique string with the camera's serial number in your favorite IPTC/XMP field

N

I know a lot of workarounds but I choose the {snum} variable because it used to be in all the photos from creation and I don't have to add extra work for being able to use it.

But thanks for the idea.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 04:31:12 PM »
Szurkebarat,
If you check the info for that picture in DPP, can you see the camera body number in the shooting information panel?

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 05:36:19 PM »
Szurkebarat,

Thanks,

-Kirk

I uploaded a sample file to help you track the needed info.

Is it also possible that Canon compact cameras have the serial number too just with different coding. I experienced the same thing with other smaller cameras. The {snum} variable returns no value for them.

Thanks for the sample file.  This issue is resolved in the 4.6.7 beta version:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=6072.0

Thanks,

-Kirk