Author Topic: launching application  (Read 7495 times)

Offline danielkekesi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
launching application
« on: September 15, 2006, 03:06:36 PM »
Hi All,

I must have overlooked something but I cannot find a way to automatically execute a program after ingesting each file (or when the ingestion is complete). Is there a way to do so?
I wish to have all the NEF files converted to DNG and have 'DNG Recover Edges' run on them while ingesting (or when ingesting is finished).

Thanks for your help.
Daniel
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 03:08:48 PM by danielkekesi »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: launching application
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 03:11:27 PM »
Daniel,

I must have overlooked something but I cannot find a way to automatically execute a program after ingesting each file (or when the ingestion is complete). Is there a way to do so?
I wish to have all the NEF files converted to DNG and have 'DNG Recover Edges' run on them.

There is no automatic "launch every photo that is downloaded at a particular program" feature.  That could by quite dangerous.

You can configure several different editors in the Preferences dialog under the Launching tab.  Once configured, you can select photos and then right-click on the selected photos and choose "Edit Photos with->" and then choose your editor from a list of editors.  The editor will be opened and the photos will be passed to it.

What program would you be using to convert to DNG and then do a 'DNG Recover Edges'?

-Kirk

Offline danielkekesi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 05:45:29 AM »
Kirk,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I put together a small program in VB that launches both applications with the appropriate parameters. It basically does the following:
1. takes the image file with full path as single parameter
2. calls DNG converter with the file as a parameter
3. if the DNG converter succeeds it deletes the NEF
4. calls the DNG Recover Edges with the image file as the parameter (now the NEF extension is replaced with DNG)
5. sends an [ENTER] key using sendkeys to get rid of that annoying confirmation dialog box (not too elegant but works)
I wanted to call this program after ingesting the photos. Why would that be dangerous? I do not think it is more dangerous than automatically wiping the cards after copying, which is available in PM. If safety is a concern then you could show a warning (like you do when selecting 'Erase source disks after ingest').
Some other ingesting programs offer this option.

Regards,
Daniel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 08:12:19 AM »
Daniel,

I put together a small program in VB that launches both applications with the appropriate parameters. It basically does the following:
1. takes the image file with full path as single parameter
2. calls DNG converter with the file as a parameter
3. if the DNG converter succeeds it deletes the NEF
4. calls the DNG Recover Edges with the image file as the parameter (now the NEF extension is replaced with DNG)
5. sends an [ENTER] key using sendkeys to get rid of that annoying confirmation dialog box (not too elegant but works)
I wanted to call this program after ingesting the photos. Why would that be dangerous? I do not think it is more dangerous than automatically wiping the cards after copying, which is available in PM. If safety is a concern then you could show a warning (like you do when selecting 'Erase source disks after ingest').
Some other ingesting programs offer this option.

Dangerous, why?  Because unlike you, most of our users are not programmers.  The options you describe like the erasing of source disks after Ingest, are only executed when the *entire* process completes with no errors.  If we execute a program after each file is copied, then if there was a failure at some point in the process, we wouldn't erase your disk, but your program would have done its job on a subset of the available photos.  This could be OK, or this could be a bad thing.

We could add such a feature to Ingest, and put up a warning dialog that Photo Mechanic is not responsible for what happens to your photos when an external program is run on each file.

I'll put it on the wish list.

-Kirk

Offline danielkekesi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 05:45:01 AM »
Kirk,

Thank you for making it a feature request.
Launching an application after ALL images were successfully transfered would be a nice option too. Even nicer would be to pass parameters to that application (like path, file names).

Daniel