Author Topic: Losing GPS info when exporting KMZ  (Read 2651 times)

Offline mcardon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Losing GPS info when exporting KMZ
« on: December 15, 2010, 06:25:20 PM »
Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have images with embedded GPS information (used Nikon GP-1) and when I export using KMZ template, I lose the GPS info. I'm on a MAC 10.4 using stuffit Expander version 11 to open KMZ file. My goal is to keep the same file name, with caption info. When I open the pictures in the "images" folder the GPS info is no longer there.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Losing GPS info when exporting KMZ
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »
Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have images with embedded GPS information (used Nikon GP-1) and when I export using KMZ template, I lose the GPS info. I'm on a MAC 10.4 using stuffit Expander version 11 to open KMZ file. My goal is to keep the same file name, with caption info. When I open the pictures in the "images" folder the GPS info is no longer there.

The GPS data only needs to be present in the KML data, not the images themselves which are just previews of the original images.  The KMZ exporter doesn't add GPS data to the previews in the kmz file.  The GPS data should continue to exist in your original images however.

-Kirk

Offline mcardon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Losing GPS info when exporting KMZ
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 10:44:27 AM »
Thanks. I think I figured out where I went wrong with my workflow. I will resize photos before exporting them.