Author Topic: small images in preview  (Read 3154 times)

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
    • The Original Green Blog
small images in preview
« on: December 19, 2010, 05:44:45 AM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.6 and I run Mac OS X 10.6.5 on my Intel-based MacBook Pro 17. I've just discovered that several consecutive batches of images have a really weird condition: if you open the DNG files in PhotoShop (converted from NEF like I always do) the files are full-size (12 megapixels) but when you open the Preview window for any of the images, they show up as 1024x680. This is highly problematic because one of the first things I do in my workflow is to look at each image zoomed to full size and delete the ones that are fuzzy. I do several other things as well before deciding which images to process. Now, I'll have to process them all in order to tell which ones I really want.

FWIW, I assume this originated with a changed setting in my camera Nikon (D300s) and that setting has reset itself later, so all the stuff I've been shooting in December is fine. Any ideas what to do with the November images so Photo Mechanic will show their true size?

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: small images in preview
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 05:51:13 AM »
I had the same issue with a 1D MK II...

PM shows the RAW's in 1536x1024 Pixels and the true size is 3504×2336.

Mac OS X 10.6.5 and PM 4.6.6 and also in the latest Beta 4.6.7 Beta 1

Samples can be provided

Picture 1 (Bildschirmfoto 2010-12-19 um 14.55.30.jpg) Finder-Info of the RAW-Image
Picture 2 (Bildschirmfoto 2010-12-19 um 14.58.02.jpg) Finder-Info of the same image, exported from RAW without cropping, etc.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 06:00:06 AM by SK-Foto »
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 06:08:43 AM »
Samples are not necessary.  In the case of the DNG files, force the DNG converter to make full size previews.  In the case of 1D Mark II CR2s, PM is showing the JPEG preview that is embedded in the CR2 file which happens to be 1/4 size.  Later models embedded full size previews.  Not much can be done about this (well on the Mac version you can force PM to render the RAW file, but it will use Apple's ImageIO engine which won't look the same as the embedded preview that the camera produced.)

These are not bugs but limitations due to the fact that PM is not a RAW converter.

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 06:12:44 AM »
Thanks Kirk...

But one question: Is there a day you have off? It seems to me like you are online 24/7 :)
THANKS for the great support!

Wish you a merry Christmas!
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 02:56:17 AM »
Kirk,
It happens the same with my pictures. I use DPP to convert CR2 images to high quality jpegs. After I convert them, PM shows them in preview mode at a 19% ratio (both the raw and the jpeg). I always thought that's the way it should be. Is it so?
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 06:52:06 AM »
Luiz,

It happens the same with my pictures. I use DPP to convert CR2 images to high quality jpegs. After I convert them, PM shows them in preview mode at a 19% ratio (both the raw and the jpeg). I always thought that's the way it should be. Is it so?

19% would indicate that PM is able to zoom in quite a bit on your images.  You're not having the issue that the original poster had at all.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 09:59:11 AM »
Thanks for your quick reply.

-Luiz Muzzi