Author Topic: Can PM auto advance images when monitoring import files in Live Ingest?  (Read 3661 times)

Offline mhecker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I have downloaded a demo of PM and overall find it quite useful.  I am running it on an HP laptop, AMD Turion 64XL TL58, Windows Vista Home Premium fully updated, and it seems to function well.

There is a sentence on the PM Home Page that for Live Ingest, PM monitors the assigned file, processes images as they appear.  (Yes, no problem...seems flawless so far.)  The next statement is that this is "useful" for shooting wirelessly or tethered.  I shoot with a Nikon D90 using the Eye-Fi Pro X2 8gb SD card, image goes to assigned file, PM picks it up and it shows perfectly in the thumbnails of the preview window or contact sheet. 

However, so far I can't figure out how to get the currently imported image to advance automatically, either inside the preview window or full screen (and being able to have both functionalities would be fabulous.)  So, is there some setting I am not finding, or does the term "useful" mean not really fully functional tethered or wirelessly (have the girl stand next to the computer and push the advance button, meant in the most un-sexist way, of course.)  If the latter, is there a software work around that will let me have all the advantages I see in your software to be used as a live, wireless ingest device?  Suggestions? Help? 

Otherwise, you have reason to be proud of this product.  I should have done this years ago.  Thanks, Mark Hecker.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can PM auto advance images when monitoring import files in Live Ingest?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 05:11:41 PM »
Mark,

I have downloaded a demo of PM and overall find it quite useful.  I am running it on an HP laptop, AMD Turion 64XL TL58, Windows Vista Home Premium fully updated, and it seems to function well.

There is a sentence on the PM Home Page that for Live Ingest, PM monitors the assigned file, processes images as they appear.  (Yes, no problem...seems flawless so far.)  The next statement is that this is "useful" for shooting wirelessly or tethered.  I shoot with a Nikon D90 using the Eye-Fi Pro X2 8gb SD card, image goes to assigned file, PM picks it up and it shows perfectly in the thumbnails of the preview window or contact sheet. 

However, so far I can't figure out how to get the currently imported image to advance automatically, either inside the preview window or full screen (and being able to have both functionalities would be fabulous.)  So, is there some setting I am not finding, or does the term "useful" mean not really fully functional tethered or wirelessly (have the girl stand next to the computer and push the advance button, meant in the most un-sexist way, of course.)  If the latter, is there a software work around that will let me have all the advantages I see in your software to be used as a live, wireless ingest device?  Suggestions? Help? 

No, there is no function that automatically advances the preview to the next image as it comes in.  Live Ingest operates independently of anything you may otherwise be doing in PM, like browsing a contact sheet whose folder is unrelated to the Live Ingest folder(s).  I suppose it could be an option however.

-Kirk

Offline mhecker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 06:48:03 PM »
Kirk, thank you for the response.  In looking at older threads in the forums I see the live tether topic has come up many times, and it does not appear that PM has historically been very interested in developing that area of functionality.  Now it appears you are soooo close, lacking only auto advance to at least allow a photographer to work without running back and forth to the computer. Additionally, it seems clear from the number of searches on the matter that there is interest.  I would encourage you to get the Live Ingest functionality to include auto advance in both preview and full screen. 

Not to bug you, but, if PM could expand their vision from being the best ingest editor to the best live ingest/ingest editor your product would probably expand it's user base substantially.  An example of even more functionality would be ShutterSnatch, which according to RobGalbraith.com http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10058-11099 last Thursday is about to release v2.0 for use on the iPad.  As a live viewer it is pretty much on spot.  Going to sell as a $19.99 app, so, I've got to believe you guys could be the best PC based live ingest/viewer/final ingest editor product for not much if any more cost.

Many of us would prefer to have your histogram and thumbnail preview combined with some of the ShutterSnatch features available on our laptops over an iPad. The hook of all that functionality for not much more money, and the ability to sit down and work in PM immediately, well, pretty desirable. Just thinking on the keyboard, but.....serious.  Thanks, Mark.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 10:26:53 PM »
Mark,

Kirk, thank you for the response.  In looking at older threads in the forums I see the live tether topic has come up many times, and it does not appear that PM has historically been very interested in developing that area of functionality.  Now it appears you are soooo close, lacking only auto advance to at least allow a photographer to work without running back and forth to the computer. Additionally, it seems clear from the number of searches on the matter that there is interest.  I would encourage you to get the Live Ingest functionality to include auto advance in both preview and full screen. 

Not to bug you, but, if PM could expand their vision from being the best ingest editor to the best live ingest/ingest editor your product would probably expand it's user base substantially.  An example of even more functionality would be ShutterSnatch, which according to RobGalbraith.com http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10058-11099 last Thursday is about to release v2.0 for use on the iPad.  As a live viewer it is pretty much on spot.  Going to sell as a $19.99 app, so, I've got to believe you guys could be the best PC based live ingest/viewer/final ingest editor product for not much if any more cost.

Many of us would prefer to have your histogram and thumbnail preview combined with some of the ShutterSnatch features available on our laptops over an iPad. The hook of all that functionality for not much more money, and the ability to sit down and work in PM immediately, well, pretty desirable. Just thinking on the keyboard, but.....serious.

Thanks for your feedback.  We'll keep it in mind.

-Kirk

Offline wagnerm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 01:16:33 PM »

Many of us would prefer to have your histogram and thumbnail preview combined with some of the ShutterSnatch features available on our laptops over an iPad. The hook of all that functionality for not much more money, and the ability to sit down and work in PM immediately, well, pretty desirable. Just thinking on the keyboard, but.....serious.  Thanks, Mark.

Very good mhecker. I would be very interested in this function too.