Author Topic: Is there a script or similar tool to swap keywords in PM?  (Read 1857 times)

Offline RogerGW

• View Profile
Is there a script or similar tool to swap keywords in PM?
« on: December 21, 2010, 06:31:01 PM »
Hello,

I use PM as my image importer, labeller and pre-edit sorter. Once I've finished editing, images go into IDimager for cataloguing.

Recently, I've been adding the file name to the PM keywords, using "{filename}" as a permanent element on the Stationery Pad. To that I manually add the location for that day's batch of files.

The trouble is I've had the filename code first, producing something like:

PP1020700.JPG
Anytown, Loamshire .

Is there a script or similar tool to reverse that, to

Anytown, Loamshire
PP1020700.JPG ?

The problem is that when IDimager sees the first arrangement, it spits out a keyword that reads, "P1020700.JPGAnytown, Loamshire". That, as you can imagine, is not helpful when 1 want to look at all my Anytown pictures.

I could change them a day's batch at a time but there are months' worth of files like this.

TIA,

Roger
Roger Whitehead
Using PM 6.0, build 5376, under Windows 10 Home, version 20H2

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Is there a script or similar tool to swap keywords in PM?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:08:33 PM »
Roger,

I use PM as my image importer, labeller and pre-edit sorter. Once I've finished editing, images go into IDimager for cataloguing.

Recently, I've been adding the file name to the PM keywords, using "{filename}" as a permanent element on the Stationery Pad. To that I manually add the location for that day's batch of files.

The trouble is I've had the filename code first, producing something like:

PP1020700.JPG
Anytown, Loamshire .

Is there a script or similar tool to reverse that, to

Anytown, Loamshire
PP1020700.JPG ?

The problem is that when IDimager sees the first arrangement, it spits out a keyword that reads, "P1020700.JPGAnytown, Loamshire". That, as you can imagine, is not helpful when 1 want to look at all my Anytown pictures.

You might try using the Find and Replace dialog (though I haven't tested to see if variables work) to search for {filename} and replace with nothing.

In the future, use the '+' (append) checkbox to add your keywords after the current keywords when applying the IPTC Stationery Pad.

-Kirk

Offline RogerGW

• View Profile
Re: Is there a script or similar tool to swap keywords in PM?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 01:16:27 AM »
Thanks for the usual speedy reply, Kirk.

It would appear that the variable becomes unfindable as such once it has been applied. Find & replace works only if I put in the exact filename, e.g. PP1020700.JPG, which is no advance on manual methods.

If PM took wildcards, say *.jpg, that would solve the removal problem but it doesn't, AFAIK. There's no mention of it in the help file.

(IDimager's search function has the "includes" operation, which does much the same thing but AFAIK doesn't do replacing. I'll ask in that forum.)

> In the future, use the '+' (append) checkbox to add your keywords after the current keywords when applying the IPTC Stationery Pad.

I can see the sense in that for existing files but that implies taking two passes each time for new ones. I think I'll just stop adding the filename there.

Roger
Roger Whitehead
Using PM 6.0, build 5376, under Windows 10 Home, version 20H2