Author Topic: HTML Exporter Problem  (Read 5300 times)

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
HTML Exporter Problem
« on: December 29, 2010, 09:18:20 PM »
Im running PM 4.6.6 in Win Vista SP2.

I tried setting up a basic HTML Export using the HTML code in the PM Manual, and defined the location in the Preferences section. However, when I try to run the HTML Exporter, I get an error shown in the attached screen shot.

In the Exporter Settings Dialog, there is nothing in the drop down bar at the top. Should something be in there?

Also, as a matter of curiosity while I'm on this subject, what does checking the "Pretty print output HTML" checkbox do?

Thanks.

Mick

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: HTML Exporter Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 07:59:52 AM »
Mick,

I tried setting up a basic HTML Export using the HTML code in the PM Manual, and defined the location in the Preferences section. However, when I try to run the HTML Exporter, I get an error shown in the attached screen shot.

You likely have double-quotes that are not the correct double-quotes.  Try re-entering them.

Quote from: mklass
In the Exporter Settings Dialog, there is nothing in the drop down bar at the top. Should something be in there?

Yes, the name of your template should be there.  You need to pick the folder containing your custom templates, which it looks like you have indeed done.

Quote from: mklass
Also, as a matter of curiosity while I'm on this subject, what does checking the "Pretty print output HTML" checkbox do?

It makes the format of the HTML output look nicely indented.  Completely unnecessary as far as a web browser is concerned.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:52:36 AM »
Kirk:

Are the double quotes in the HTML, or where? Are you saying I shoudl replace " with 2 ' or teh otehr way around? (I copied the code direct from the online manual using Copy and Paste in Windows.)

If I've already entered the corerct file location, and the files aren't showing up, what do I do? I've tried moving them to a different lcoation and that didn't do any good. I also tried this on my laptop, which is running Win XP and the results are the same.

Thanks in advance Kirk. I hope you ahve an great New Year!

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 12:20:48 PM »
Mick,

Are the double quotes in the HTML, or where? Are you saying I shoudl replace " with 2 ' or teh otehr way around? (I copied the code direct from the online manual using Copy and Paste in Windows.)

If I've already entered the corerct file location, and the files aren't showing up, what do I do? I've tried moving them to a different lcoation and that didn't do any good. I also tried this on my laptop, which is running Win XP and the results are the same.

If you copy the text from the manual it is quite likely that the styled quotes will be pasted into your text file.  Just make sure to replace them with the quotes that you can type directly with your keyboard, both single and double quotes.

All of this may be a moot point since your template isn't showing up.  Why that is happening is unknown to me.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 07:54:24 AM »
When you get back from vacation, Kirk, could you take a look at this again.

I fixed the HTML files and validated them in Dreamweaver.

I am getting the same error when I try to run the export, and nothing is displayed in that drop down list.

Happy New Year!

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 08:49:33 PM »
Mick,

When you get back from vacation, Kirk, could you take a look at this again.

I fixed the HTML files and validated them in Dreamweaver.

I am getting the same error when I try to run the export, and nothing is displayed in that drop down list.

Please post a screen shot of the folder containing your template.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 04:24:13 AM »
Here ya go!

Happy New Year!

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 07:27:54 AM »
Mick,

Here ya go!

OK, well comparing with your previous screenshot that shows the path to your User HTML templates, the path in your latest screenshot does not match.

Here is how I would recommend you lay out your path:

C:\PM HTML Templates\Test\

Put your html files in Test
Choose C:\PM HTML Templates as your User HTML templates path.

That should do it.  As you create more templates, put them each into their own folder inside C:\PM HTML Templates and they should show up individually in the popup menu in the HTML Template exporter.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »
I'll give it a try, Kirk.

(I forgot to mention that I moved the files to a folder in a shorter path, and I did reset PM to the  new folder. )

I'll let you know what happens.

Mick

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 04:12:23 AM »
Kirk:

Did as you suggested, and that solved the problem of the drop down list. However, the Exporter still generates the same error message when I run it.

I am sending along the html files. They are pretty simple. I don't see any errors, and neither does Dreamweaver, but perhaps there is something more specific to this use that I am missing.

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 07:05:52 AM »
Mick,

Did as you suggested, and that solved the problem of the drop down list. However, the Exporter still generates the same error message when I run it.

I am sending along the html files. They are pretty simple. I don't see any errors, and neither does Dreamweaver, but perhaps there is something more specific to this use that I am missing.

Try creating a folder next to your html files named 'assets' (which you can leave empty if you like) and then try the export again.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 08:44:58 AM »
That did it, Kirk! Thanks.

Is that something in the manual that I just overlooked?

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 09:51:50 AM »
Mick,

That did it, Kirk! Thanks.

Is that something in the manual that I just overlooked?

No, it's supposed to be optional and is on the Mac.  On Windows, not having that folder causes an error.

I'll fix it in the next update.

-Kirk