Author Topic: Best workflow with RAW from 1D MK II, PM and Photoshop CS 2?  (Read 4370 times)

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
Hi Kirk,

Can you suggest the best workflow with RAW from 1D MK II, PM and Photoshop CS 2?

I keep on losing all my camera info when saving the edited Photoshop .psd file... Is it to do with the setting in the IPTC/XMP Pref Tab? Or is it a problem with Photoshop?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Many, many thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Best workflow with RAW from 1D MK II, PM and Photoshop CS 2?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 06:50:50 AM »
Can you suggest the best workflow with RAW from 1D MK II, PM and Photoshop CS 2?

I keep on losing all my camera info when saving the edited Photoshop .psd file... Is it to do with the setting in the IPTC/XMP Pref Tab? Or is it a problem with Photoshop?

Once a photo becomes a PSD file it really is no longer a "photo" but is just an "image".  I'd have to research it, but I don't think PSD files have an Exif chunk (that's where your shooting data is stored in a JPEG or CR2).

You might try just putting the most important information into some IPTC fields so you can look at it later (you could customize the Info Text to show the IPTC fields that you store your information into so that it would show up on the Tooltips or in the Info pane in the Preview window.)

Just use the image variables that you want to preserve in a field or two of the IPTC Stationery Pad and then apply it to all of your photos.  When you edit them in Photoshop and save them as PSD, the IPTC data should be preserved in the PSD file.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline pmazer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Best workflow with RAW from 1D MK II, PM and Photoshop CS 2?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 08:22:31 PM »
Kirk,

I don't mean to disagree with you, but I have a problem.  Whenever I open a PSD file in Photoshop and save it as a JPEG, I always get the original EXIF data along with it.  However, whenever I use Photo Mechanic to save a PSD as a JPEG, it doesn't give me the EXIF data.  Is there any way to fix this?  It would greatly streamline my workflow for this to be possible.  Thank you.