Author Topic: PM 4.6.6 Beach Ball  (Read 3528 times)

Offline Stephane Lacelle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 4.6.6 Beach Ball
« on: December 31, 2010, 11:08:14 AM »
I was doing a CNX2 batch job on multiple files. Upon my return to PM, I got the beach ball. Force quit, but now I get it all the time. At first I thought file corruption, but irrespective of the folder I'm in,  I get the beach ball. First time in 2 years that PM fails on me.

I've attached the Activity Monitor sample. I'm on Mac OS X 10.6.5.

Needless to say... help!

Thanks Kirk.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 4.6.6 Beach Ball
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 07:36:34 PM »
Stephane,

I was doing a CNX2 batch job on multiple files. Upon my return to PM, I got the beach ball. Force quit, but now I get it all the time. At first I thought file corruption, but irrespective of the folder I'm in,  I get the beach ball. First time in 2 years that PM fails on me.

Try removing your Photo Mechanic preferences file:

/Users/your login/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefs

and then launch PM again.  Let me know if this doesn't solve your issue.

-Kirk

Offline Stephane Lacelle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 11:57:48 PM »
Kirk,

Unfortunately, that didn't do it. I noticed that PM got indeed reset, but going back to some of my folders would cause PM to spin its wheels waiting on some semaphore.

I've tried to nail down a series of steps that would cause the problem. One thing that appears to recreate it all the time is when I go to a folder and click on a label (any label). This would start a sort operation that would never come back. For some folders, all is good. For a couple of folders, one in particular, I can recreate the problem at will.

NEF corruption? Would a complete uninstall/reinstall help? Or do you need another "core dump" and continue your analysis?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 07:29:53 AM »
Stephane,

Unfortunately, that didn't do it. I noticed that PM got indeed reset, but going back to some of my folders would cause PM to spin its wheels waiting on some semaphore.

I've tried to nail down a series of steps that would cause the problem. One thing that appears to recreate it all the time is when I go to a folder and click on a label (any label). This would start a sort operation that would never come back. For some folders, all is good. For a couple of folders, one in particular, I can recreate the problem at will.

NEF corruption? Would a complete uninstall/reinstall help? Or do you need another "core dump" and continue your analysis?

Is it only specific folders that lockup PM?  Or do all of the folders on your system lockup PM?  More samples would be welcome.

-Kirk

Offline Stephane Lacelle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 12:48:07 PM »

Hi Kirk,

Is it only specific folders that lockup PM?  Or do all of the folders on your system lockup PM?  More samples would be welcome.

What I have find is that there are some problematic folders (3 or 4). The vast majority of the folders are OK.  For the life of me, I can't seem to find out what appears to be common with the problematic folders, other than they all contain CNX2 modified images (but so are all of my folders).

It appears that whatever I do in this folder that has to do with search/filter/sort, will end up locked up. Moving files to another folder also locks things up.

I've attached another sample.

If you believe that file corruption might throwing PM off, what I can try to do is to copy 10 files at a time from the problem folder into a new folder using the Finder. Open the new folder with PM. Do sort/filter operations. Copy another 10 files if all is good. Repeat until error is reproduceable in the new folder and try to pin point the problematic file.

-stephane

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »
Stephane,

What I have find is that there are some problematic folders (3 or 4). The vast majority of the folders are OK.  For the life of me, I can't seem to find out what appears to be common with the problematic folders, other than they all contain CNX2 modified images (but so are all of my folders).

It appears that whatever I do in this folder that has to do with search/filter/sort, will end up locked up. Moving files to another folder also locks things up.

I've attached another sample.

If you believe that file corruption might throwing PM off, what I can try to do is to copy 10 files at a time from the problem folder into a new folder using the Finder. Open the new folder with PM. Do sort/filter operations. Copy another 10 files if all is good. Repeat until error is reproduceable in the new folder and try to pin point the problematic file.

Thanks for the sample.  It appears that one of your NEF files is causing the Maker Note parser in PM to get hung in a loop.  Another thread (the main event thread) wants information about that same file but is forced to wait until one of the worker threads finishes parsing the file (which never happens) and gets hung up.

Finding the specific file (with the method you described) and sending it to me will help us find out what is going on.

Thanks,

-Kirk