Author Topic: Color Management  (Read 3376 times)

Offline dkuhn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Color Management
« on: May 13, 2011, 03:03:33 PM »
windows xp, pm 4.5.3, calibrated monitor, photoshop set for adobe1998

We are saving preview photos as sRBG via photoshop. The preference color management in PM is set for RBG1998 color manage and previews for display is checked. When we toggle the color management icon, there is no change in the appearance of the image - it stays as sRBG. 

Shouldn't toggling the color management icon off and on show the images as sRBG and RBG1998 respectively.  It used to work this way, but for some reason is no longer working.

But for some reason it is now  taking RBG1998 preview images and changing to sRBG when we use the toggle icon.

Thanks for the help
Dwight

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Color Management
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »
Dwight,

windows xp, pm 4.5.3, calibrated monitor, photoshop set for adobe1998

We are saving preview photos as sRBG via photoshop. The preference color management in PM is set for RBG1998 color manage and previews for display is checked. When we toggle the color management icon, there is no change in the appearance of the image - it stays as sRBG. 

Shouldn't toggling the color management icon off and on show the images as sRBG and RBG1998 respectively.  It used to work this way, but for some reason is no longer working.

But for some reason it is now  taking RBG1998 preview images and changing to sRBG when we use the toggle icon.

If an image has a profile in it and color management is active it will honor the profile.   If an image has no profile then the default profile will be used.   If color management is inactive then no color matching is performed--the image is simply drawn to the screen.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:37:04 AM »
Kirk,
I generally shoot canon raw files with a SRGB profile. After editing in DPP, I convert the files to jpeg - max quality.
In this case, do you think I have to define a profile in PM and use the function "Embed ICC Profile into Jpegs"?
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
Luiz,

I generally shoot canon raw files with a SRGB profile. After editing in DPP, I convert the files to jpeg - max quality.
In this case, do you think I have to define a profile in PM and use the function "Embed ICC Profile into Jpegs"?

Not necessarily.  If you add {icc} to your Info Text, what profile is tagged with your images?  If it's what you expect, then leave them alone.  If they're not the correct profile then you could embed them.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 06:27:30 PM »
Kirk,
I added {icc} to my Info Text and found out that the CR2 files are tagged with "sRGB Profile" and the corresponding jpegs are tagged "sRGB v1.31 (Canon) (embedded)".
Now, in PM's Preferences I find the option "sRGB IEC61966-2.1". Would that be the equivalent profile?
Also, do you think I should checkmark the option "Embed ICC profile into Camera JPEGs during copy or ingest"?
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 07:55:04 PM »
Luiz,

I added {icc} to my Info Text and found out that the CR2 files are tagged with "sRGB Profile" and the corresponding jpegs are tagged "sRGB v1.31 (Canon) (embedded)".
Now, in PM's Preferences I find the option "sRGB IEC61966-2.1". Would that be the equivalent profile?

Yes it is equivalent.

Quote from: Luiz Muzzi
Also, do you think I should checkmark the option "Embed ICC profile into Camera JPEGs during copy or ingest"?

It is usually not necessary.

-Kirk

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 12:38:56 AM »
Kirk,
-Luiz Muzzi

I think this sRGB profile does not affect the raw (which has its own sensor dependent profile, usually quite large), maybe it affects the embeded jpg?

What counts is the work profile set in DPP for editing and the output profile when converting to jpg/tiff.

Francis