Author Topic: File renaming and Capture NX2  (Read 3894 times)

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
File renaming and Capture NX2
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:48:37 AM »
I am using PM 4.6.6 with Capture NX2 2.2.6 in Win Vista 64.

This is not a new issue, but has been a problem for a while. This situation is this:

I edit one or more images in Capture NX2, which I have opened from PM. After editing an image, I close it in CNX, but CNX is still open.
I do some IPTC edits in PM on these images, then use the rename dialog to change the file names. (usually by using the variable {headline} to use that IPTC field as the file name).

PM generates and error that it cannot rename one or more of the files, but it is usually the last file in the rename group, which may or may not be the  last file edited in CNX.

If I then close CNX altogether, the renaming works fine.

I am guessing that this is an issue with CNX not releasing something in the system until is closes. I've tried opening another file in CNX (one that is not being renamed), then doing the renaming in PM, but that didn't help.

Have you seen this before and is there a solution?

It's annoying, but not fatal.

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: File renaming and Capture NX2
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:17:01 AM »
Mick,

I am using PM 4.6.6 with Capture NX2 2.2.6 in Win Vista 64.

This is not a new issue, but has been a problem for a while. This situation is this:

I edit one or more images in Capture NX2, which I have opened from PM. After editing an image, I close it in CNX, but CNX is still open.
I do some IPTC edits in PM on these images, then use the rename dialog to change the file names. (usually by using the variable {headline} to use that IPTC field as the file name).

PM generates and error that it cannot rename one or more of the files, but it is usually the last file in the rename group, which may or may not be the  last file edited in CNX.

If I then close CNX altogether, the renaming works fine.

I am guessing that this is an issue with CNX not releasing something in the system until is closes. I've tried opening another file in CNX (one that is not being renamed), then doing the renaming in PM, but that didn't help.

Have you seen this before and is there a solution?

It's annoying, but not fatal.

Capture NX2 is keeping the file open with exclusive access which denies any other application from changing (or reading) the file.  We reported this issue to them a few years ago.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 06:44:14 AM »
Thanks, Kirk. I'll send them a note.

Mick

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 05:01:50 PM »
Mick,

I have similar problems changing file information in PM after editing a file in NX2 (adding/changing ITPC, labels, file names etc.) when NX2 was started from within PM.

The first time you open a file in NX from within PM, the NX browser is pointed to the folder on your HD where this initial file was located in and in the process somehow "locks" this folder (and ALL files within) for PM to change. That is as long as NX is open and the browser is pointed to that specific folder.

A work around is that after NX opened, I point the NX browser to my "Desktop" folder, thus keeping NX from "locking" any folders that I may need to access with PM (or any other application for that matter). Perhaps that helps.

It's a pain, but this extra step became second nature for me.

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »
Thanks for the tip. i"ll try it.

Mick

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 05:01:33 PM »
I am seeing exactly this with colour labels and star ratings.   Photo Mechanic silently does nothing when I'm trying to set one of these by clicking on the thumbnail in the contact sheet.   If I close Capture NX2 which is still running in the background but with no images open, colour labels and star ratings work again.

I am just reporting this in case someone else wonders what is going on.

I understand not much can be done (other than the workaround) if Capture NX2 insists on locking files even when finished with them.

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 05:20:57 PM »
Peter,

I am seeing exactly this with colour labels and star ratings.   Photo Mechanic silently does nothing when I'm trying to set one of these by clicking on the thumbnail in the contact sheet.   If I close Capture NX2 which is still running in the background but with no images open, colour labels and star ratings work again.

I am just reporting this in case someone else wonders what is going on.

I understand not much can be done (other than the workaround) if Capture NX2 insists on locking files even when finished with them.

The same would happen with crops and rotation as well.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 05:25:38 PM »
Crop rotation? PM works for farmers too?  ;)

Mick

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 12:21:45 AM »

:)

More seriously though, is this a windows only problem as since switching to Mac I can't recall ever having had this trouble any more?

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 05:51:53 AM »
Hayo,

:)

More seriously though, is this a windows only problem as since switching to Mac I can't recall ever having had this trouble any more?

Yes, it is a Windows-only issue.

-Kirk