Author Topic: Sorting During Ingest?  (Read 12408 times)

Offline Chris Ho Photography

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • chrishophoto.com
Sorting During Ingest?
« on: September 17, 2006, 01:31:44 PM »
I posted this in the Support Forum, but it seems apropriate here as well:

Hi I am currently running and older version of PM (4.3.4), and I am thinking about upgrading when 4.5 comes out. One thing that I think would be very useful is if Photo Mechanic could separate Jpegs and Raw files into seperate folders during the ingest process. Is this possible with the latest versions of PM, if not, will it be possible in future releases?

Thanks, -Chris
Chris Ho Photography

Phone: 503.307.7677
Email: chris@chrishophoto.com
Web:   http://www.chrishophoto.com

Member ASMP & EP

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sorting During Ingest?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 04:48:26 PM »
Chris,

I posted this in the Support Forum, but it seems apropriate here as well:

Hi I am currently running and older version of PM (4.3.4), and I am thinking about upgrading when 4.5 comes out. One thing that I think would be very useful is if Photo Mechanic could separate Jpegs and Raw files into seperate folders during the ingest process. Is this possible with the latest versions of PM, if not, will it be possible in future releases?

Please get version 4.3.8 in the meantime.  It has many fixes over the 4.3.4 release and it is free to all 4.3.x users.

We currently have no plans to separate JPEGs and RAW files during Ingest.  Can you explain why you would want that feature?  There are many reasons to keep them paired together.  I can list the benefits if you like.

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 08:48:43 PM »
Bridge is still required if you want to batch process images without droplets.
We constantly tweak our work flow and saving new droplets every 20minutes seems to defeat the purpose. (Now if Adobe could make droplets editable....).
Viewing jpgs and raws together in bridge sucks...

It would be a nice option to save separately, but its not a dealbreaker for me.
We're asking you to correct Adobes shortcomings....which you do on a daily basis.
Marc
Marc

Offline jimb

• View Profile
Re: Sorting to Folders During Ingest
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 12:46:55 PM »
Although you appear to be against ingesting to separate folders, another reason for doing so has come up with the release of Lightroom. The ability to sort into folders based on file extension (i.e., RAW, JPG) would easily allow a way to help circumvent a current limitation of LR. Since other people have requested this feature for other reasons, I wanted to revisit it with another reason for doing so.
Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 03:40:17 PM »
Although you appear to be against ingesting to separate folders, another reason for doing so has come up with the release of Lightroom. The ability to sort into folders based on file extension (i.e., RAW, JPG) would easily allow a way to help circumvent a current limitation of LR. Since other people have requested this feature for other reasons, I wanted to revisit it with another reason for doing so.

What is the limitation that you speak of?

Until/if we add such a feature (splitting RAW and JPEG apart on Ingest) you can use the Copy dialog with the Move option checked, and then change the RAW+JPEG handling popup to "Copy RAW files only" and this will allow you to bulk move your RAW files away from your JPEGs.  I know it's another step but it is fairly automated...

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 03:19:53 PM »
What is the limitation that you speak of?

Until/if we add such a feature (splitting RAW and JPEG apart on Ingest) you can use the Copy dialog with the Move option checked, and then change the RAW+JPEG handling popup to "Copy RAW files only" and this will allow you to bulk move your RAW files away from your JPEGs.  I know it's another step but it is fairly automated...

Lightroom currently has a "feature" such that if you import a folder containing RAW+JPEG pairs, it only shows the RAW images, and you cannot stack the pairs, or process the JPEGs. The workaround is to separate the RAW and JPEG files into separate folders, import those, then move the JPEGs (or RAWs) into the main folder. After doing that, both filetypes can be seen, processed, stacked, or whatever. No one seems to understand the logic behind this implementation, and hopefully it will be changed in an update.

However, after thinking through the complete workflow to handle RAW/JPEG pairs, there would actually be less steps involved to do what you have suggested.

But, there have been other occasions where I've had to split the pairs, and obviously others seem to have needs, so it might be a useful addition at some point.

Thanks.

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 07:32:09 AM »
To resurrect this old thread.
Separating RAW and JPEG would be useful to us at major events so we can send the JPEGS to a NAS drive for immediate distribution on social media (where minutes count).
Only sending JPEGS is a huge timesaver, especially when reviewing on separate computers from the NAS drive.
The RAWS would be sent to another drive for later editing and post processing… It would also be useful to us as a live ingest feature.
Marc
Marc

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »
I just "Sort by type" to group images by type then it's easy to select the ones to move (shft-click on the first JPG and last JPG in Windows for example) and move or copy them.  Yes, it's an extra step but PM is fast (at least on a few hundred images) to sort and move/copy.

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 09:16:20 PM »
I just "Sort by type" to group images by type then it's easy to select the ones to move (shft-click on the first JPG and last JPG in Windows for example) and move or copy them.  Yes, it's an extra step but PM is fast (at least on a few hundred images) to sort and move/copy.
This works but is slow and confusing at an event where we are continually adding images.
Marc
Marc

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 10:42:49 PM »
You could try to make use of the {type} variable (perhaps even in combination with a code replacement) in the path you specify when ingesting files. This would put raw and JPEG in a different folder.
Would this work for you?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »
Interesting Hayo,
How do I add a variable to the destination path?
Marc
Marc

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 10:21:14 AM »
You could try to make use of the {type} variable (perhaps even in combination with a code replacement) in the path you specify when ingesting files. This would put raw and JPEG in a different folder.
Would this work for you?

Hayo,

I've tried this but it's never worked for me.  If I use the variable {type} still images and videos are saved to different folders but JPG and NEF are in the same folder.  Here is the syntax I use:

{date} event {type}

I get a folder named like this:  2014-09-25 event.JPEG

Both NEF and JPG images are in this folder.

That's why I suggested sorting by type to get RAW and JPG grouped together then selecting and moving.  I have Copy Photos: set to "into folder with name."  Maybe I should try one of the other choices.

I'm on Windows 7 Pro and the latest release of PM.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 09:39:02 AM »
Hi Woodie and Marc,

Ah right, I forgot. Upon ingest, PM treats raw+jpg as one so my suggestion doesn't work :(
Perhaps a feature request is in order to get this changed...

Only solution I now see is to add a separate (and manual) step where you move the files to another location based on the type.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl