Author Topic: Focus Distance  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Rob Puller

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Focus Distance
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:52:41 PM »
Please add the "Focus Distance" and "Hyperfocal Distance" variables to the list available for use in "Set Info Text".

Exiftool tells me these variables are available, so I'm hoping this would be an easy coding exercise.

I searched the forums and saw some requests for this back in 2009, but did not find a response.

Thanks

Rob

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Focus Distance
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:13:05 AM »
Just started using PM and I am impressed.    :)

+1 for focus distance.  It would be a useful EXIF variable in PM.  

(I don't think adding hyperfocal distance makes sense as that is a calculated value and would require input from the user on acceptable circle of confusion).

Naive suggestion:  could there be several user-definable EXIF fields that one could add to the "Set Info Text"?   That way owners of different equipment could specify variables specific to their hardware and display them.

Thanks,
Peter
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:18:38 AM by LowEyeEssOh »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:28:10 AM »
Peter and Rob,

+1 for focus distance.  It would be a useful EXIF variable in PM.  

(I don't think adding hyperfocal distance makes sense as that is a calculated value and would require input from the user on acceptable circle of confusion).

Naive suggestion:  could there be several user-definable EXIF fields that one could add to the "Set Info Text"?   That way owners of different equipment could specify variables specific to their hardware and display them.

Much of the data people want isn't actually EXIF data but manufacturer-specific Maker Note data that has to be reverse engineered.  There is no simple way to provide a mechanism for user-created custom Maker Note variables.

-Kirk

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »
Thanks Kirk for the quick feedback.   What you say makes sense.   Peter