Author Topic: SimpleViewer Universal Playback  (Read 7636 times)

Offline drjay32

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Luminescence of Nature Photograpy
SimpleViewer Universal Playback
« on: January 16, 2011, 07:33:22 AM »
I've been using Photo Mechanic to make my online photo galleries for the last four years. I've always had a few people whine about Flash-based galleries, but I never let it bother me.  Now, with iPad, no one can see my galleries (nor can I show them on my iPhone).  I recently went to the SimpleViewer site, and discovered that version 2.11 (Free) includes HTML-based Universal Playback support.  I used the SimpleViewer tool to upgrade my galleries, and now I can see my photos on my iPad!

With this, I have two questions:
1) Is it possible to integrate SimpleViewer 2.x into the next rev of Photo Mechanic
2) If not, what is the best way of scrubbing HTML code from the caption fields in my Gallery.xml file so that when I use the SimpleViewer builder app to fine-tune my galleries (I have SV Pro), I don't need to manually scrub the HTML from the captions?

-Jason
Jason P. Odell
Photographer and author in Colorado, USA
www.luminescentphoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: SimpleViewer Universal Playback
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 02:13:40 PM »
Jason,

I've been using Photo Mechanic to make my online photo galleries for the last four years. I've always had a few people whine about Flash-based galleries, but I never let it bother me.  Now, with iPad, no one can see my galleries (nor can I show them on my iPhone).  I recently went to the SimpleViewer site, and discovered that version 2.11 (Free) includes HTML-based Universal Playback support.  I used the SimpleViewer tool to upgrade my galleries, and now I can see my photos on my iPad!

With this, I have two questions:
1) Is it possible to integrate SimpleViewer 2.x into the next rev of Photo Mechanic

I guess you're asking for a new Exporter template?

Quote from: drjay32
2) If not, what is the best way of scrubbing HTML code from the caption fields in my Gallery.xml file so that when I use the SimpleViewer builder app to fine-tune my galleries (I have SV Pro), I don't need to manually scrub the HTML from the captions?

I don't know.  I haven't investigated what SimpleViewer wants in its files.

-Kirk

Offline drjay32

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 06:16:36 PM »
Kirk-
If you guys had an Exporter template that created the "svcore" folder (which adds an HTML5 option), that would rock.  The biggest thing I hear these days is that people want to show off their photos on iPads/iPhones.

-Jason
Jason P. Odell
www.luminescentphoto.com

Offline drjay32

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:37:29 AM »
I figured out the necessary code change to my "template-main.rb" file for Simple Viewer so that the HTML font encodings are no longer used. I can then do a quick run of the exported gallery through svBuilder Pro to create the additional code and files for HTML5 galleries.

-Jason
Jason P. Odell
www.luminescentphoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:26:18 AM »
Jason,

I figured out the necessary code change to my "template-main.rb" file for Simple Viewer so that the HTML font encodings are no longer used. I can then do a quick run of the exported gallery through svBuilder Pro to create the additional code and files for HTML5 galleries.

If the changes are working for you, would you mind sharing them with us and we'll integrate them with PM?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline drjay32

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:02:57 AM »
Kirk-
All I did here was scrub out the code that applied text formatting to Captions and Title. Once viewed in sv-builder, you can set the fonts/sizes/colors to whatever you want and you won't have the other HTML code in the way.

File is attached.

-Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jason P. Odell
www.luminescentphoto.com

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 09:22:58 PM »
This sounds interresting and possibly all I was hoping for a long time. I planned to drop PM gallery generation and its SimpleViewer galleries because of using flash and thus being incompatible with iOS devices.

I hope HTML5 support can be implemented soon. It would be great addition and a real life saver for me.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Simon Jacobs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 08:50:26 AM »
Did we get any further with this?

I now have to leave PM to generate galleries that are mobile friendly. Not good.

Perhaps we could update the splash screen from Greece 2004 as well... :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 09:07:29 AM »
Did we get any further with this?

I now have to leave PM to generate galleries that are mobile friendly. Not good.

Perhaps we could update the splash screen from Greece 2004 as well... :)

EDIT: We are addressing this in the next major version of PM.

I guarantee that the splash screen will change as well.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:30:48 AM by Kirk Baker »