Author Topic: Slow to delete files in Snow Leopard  (Read 2358 times)

Offline jeferey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Slow to delete files in Snow Leopard
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:04:51 PM »
Hello,

Working with a brand new iMac. Everything (OS, PM) current as of January 18, 2011; 12GB RAM.

I'm a Mac tech working with a client. We recently migrated her to a "Best" config iMac. The photos are kept on a Promise RAID. The OS and apps are on the iMac.

Deleting images (moving to Trash) in the PM interface is super slow after a while.

I opened Activity Monitor when PM is pokey and see that Finder usage peaks to 100% during the pause (SPOD) -- about 11 seconds.

A typical file in this case is a 1.5MB jpg.

I adjusted the cache preferences (but not RAW preferences).

A restart fixes things, but then after a couple hours it turns sour again.

When PM is pokey, I can duplicate a folder of images from the RAID to the iMac, open them in the PM interface and these delete quickly.

Everything else is super fast (for example deleting files in the FInder).

I found this thread and it sounds like the same thing:

<http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4666.0>

The only other app that might be involved is Retrospect 6.1. It is NOT running while working in PM, and even mentioning it might be a red herring, but I'm trying to be thorough.

I will be back onsite tomorrow. Thoughts welcome.

TIA,

Jeff

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slow to delete files in Snow Leopard
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 03:40:12 PM »
Jeff,

Working with a brand new iMac. Everything (OS, PM) current as of January 18, 2011; 12GB RAM.

I'm a Mac tech working with a client. We recently migrated her to a "Best" config iMac. The photos are kept on a Promise RAID. The OS and apps are on the iMac.

Deleting images (moving to Trash) in the PM interface is super slow after a while.

I opened Activity Monitor when PM is pokey and see that Finder usage peaks to 100% during the pause (SPOD) -- about 11 seconds.

A typical file in this case is a 1.5MB jpg.

I adjusted the cache preferences (but not RAW preferences).

A restart fixes things, but then after a couple hours it turns sour again.

When PM is pokey, I can duplicate a folder of images from the RAID to the iMac, open them in the PM interface and these delete quickly.

Everything else is super fast (for example deleting files in the FInder).

I found this thread and it sounds like the same thing:

<http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4666.0>

The only other app that might be involved is Retrospect 6.1. It is NOT running while working in PM, and even mentioning it might be a red herring, but I'm trying to be thorough.

My response is pretty much the same.  PM uses AppleEvents (lower level scripting than AppleScript) to tell the Finder to move items to the trash.  Building AppleEvents is very fast, waiting for the response from the Finder is likely taking all of the time (PM is idle waiting for the response from the send of the AppleEvent).

I'm not sure there is anything I can do to solve your issue if you still want to be able to recover your files if you accidentally delete one.  Otherwise, setting PM to delete the files instead of moving to the Trash should always be nearly instantaneous.

-Kirk

Offline jeferey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Slow to delete files in Snow Leopard
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 07:32:11 PM »
Thanks. I'll check with her tomorrow.