Author Topic: creation date on file photo's changes to present day  (Read 1848 times)

Offline mikethebike53

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
creation date on file photo's changes to present day
« on: January 18, 2011, 07:28:09 AM »
Hi guys,
I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.5 and I run Mac OS X 10.6.6  on my Intel-based Mac.  I encounter the folowing problem;
 When I am uploading older files to my companie's database I am told that the creation date has been changed to the present day i.s. retaining the date the picture was taken.
This phenomenon occus when I have a batch of pictures with more or less the same keywords, and basic info that I want to copy to all files.
The way I work is to fill out the IPTC fields and the move to the next picture , using the  " copy" and " save & -" and then "paste " onto the next file. (These buttons are below the small image in the top right hand corner)
When I do not use this method to fill out the fields ( which is extremely time consuming) the phenomonon does not occur.
What am I doing wrong?

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: creation date on file photo's changes to present day
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 01:54:45 PM »
Hi Mike,

It sounds like the problem is coming from a preference setting in Photo Mechanic and the Date location used by your online database. There are two things you can do to stop this problem. If you use PM's Classic IPTC dialog ( option set on Accessibility preference page ) then the photo's IPTC Image Date and Time will match the Camera Data Capture Time when opened in Photoshop. ( I'm suspecting the online database is using the IPTC Image's Date Create info )

If you use the standard IPTC dialog, then you need to set the IPTC/XMP preferences to use the Capture Time for the IPTC Info Date and Time. This is at the bottom left of the IPTC/XMP preference dialog. 

regards,

--Bob