Author Topic: How do you identify which pictures have been worked on?  (Read 12346 times)

Offline mburke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How do you identify which pictures have been worked on?
« on: January 21, 2011, 04:44:59 AM »
I use CNX2 on a Win 7 pc. When looking at a contact sheet how do you identify which pictures have been worked on in CNX2?

Thanks,

Mike

Offline ralphdaily

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: How do you identify which pictures have been worked on?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 08:39:36 AM »
Apply a color label.

Offline mburke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 08:46:17 AM »
Thanks - the reason I asked is that when using CNX2 or VNX2 there is an indication that the file has been worked on. Your suggestion is just fine. Thank You,

Mike

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 11:15:14 AM »
Another way to tell is by using the {software} variable; if it's touched by NX2 it will show you (including the version you used).

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline mburke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 04:11:52 AM »
Thanks Hayo - That really worked slick. I just added it to the preferences and now it show up in all the contact sheets. It shows if I used Tranfer, View, or CNX and which version of each. Neat.

Mike

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 05:01:40 AM »
Another way to tell is by using the {software} variable; if it's touched by NX2 it will show you (including the version you used).

Cheers,
    Hayo

Great suggestion, works well, thanks, Peter

Offline munchmeister

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 09:13:41 PM »
variable, great tip. Thanks.

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 12:32:29 AM »
I relay on color labels for easy identification of picture stage and have following set-up (note that I only shoot RAW with Nikon SLR's, except RAW from a G12):

• No Color = newly ingested from card/camera
  • RED = Market for deletion
  • PURPLE = Selected keeper
  • BLUE = Keeper Canon RAW, fully keyworded/annotated, ready for post-process with ACR (post process stage 1) -> will be changed to YELLOW after processing (stage 1)
  • WHITE = Keeper Nikon RAW, fully keyworded/annotated, ready for post-process with Capture NX2 (post process stage 1) -> will be changed to YELLOW after processing (stage 1)
  • YELLOW = RAW files, processed with Capture NX2 (ACR) in stage 1 = DIGITAL NEGATIVE
  • ROSE = TIFF files 16-bit, from processed RAW files in stage 1, ready for final processing in CS5 (post process stage 2) -> will be changed to GREEN after final processing (stage 2)
  • GREEN = TIFF files 8-bit, final processed in CS5 during stage 2, in original file size and no filters etc. applied
  • LIGHT GREEN = TIFF files 8-bit, with customer specific processing applied (resized, cropped, filters, B&W conversion etc.)

Sounds complicated, but works out very well as whenever I open a contact sheet I can see right away which pictures are at what stage and use the color label filter to turn off files that are not needed to be worked on during that session.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:39:30 AM by archer69 »

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 01:35:14 PM »
I relay on color labels for easy identification of picture stage and have following set-up (note that I only shoot RAW with Nikon SLR's, except RAW from a G12):

• BLUE = Keeper Canon RAW, fully keyworded/annotated, ready for post-process with ACR (post process stage 1) -> will be changed to YELLOW after processing (stage 1)
  • WHITE = Keeper Nikon RAW, fully keyworded/annotated, ready for post-process with Capture NX2 (post process stage 1) -> will be changed to YELLOW after processing (stage 1)
  • YELLOW = RAW files, processed with Capture NX2 (ACR) in stage 1 = DIGITAL NEGATIVE
  • ROSE = TIFF files 16-bit, from processed RAW files in stage 1, ready for final processing in CS5 (post process stage 2) -> will be changed to GREEN after final processing (stage 2)
  • GREEN = TIFF files 8-bit, final processed in CS5 during stage 2, in original file size and no filters etc. applied
  • LIGHT GREEN = TIFF files 8-bit, with customer specific processing applied (resized, cropped, filters, B&W conversion etc.)

Sounds complicated, but works out very well as whenever I open a contact sheet I can see right away which pictures are at what stage and use the color label filter to turn off files that are not needed to be worked on during that session.

Archer,
Nice system.
Wouldn't it be easier to use PM's color scale, that is, from no color to rose (from right to left)?
Best regards,

-Luiz Muzzi 

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
enhancement idea??
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 06:59:13 PM »
(I have not thought this through, but I'll throw it out anyway)

If the file last modifcation time is greater than the capture time, then it must have been modified, right?

How about a little icon on the contact sheet on images where the mod time > capture time?

Offline eja

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 11:15:02 AM »
I tried to the software variable idea and it worked when I use portrait professional, but it doesn't show anything when I've edited with Lightroom 3.  Has anyone else had a problem with lightroom 3 showing up?

Thanks

EJ

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 04:43:20 AM »

Archer,
Nice system.
Wouldn't it be easier to use PM's color scale, that is, from no color to rose (from right to left)?
Best regards,

-Luiz Muzzi 

Hi Luiz, sorry, not been around much lately.

Well, the system developted over a coule of years and I made used of custome color settings. I know what you mean and I would probably have done it differntly, but I just don't want to spend the time to change the color coding of over 40k pictures. And I'm so used to it now that any change would probably screw me up completely.

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 06:25:15 PM »
I shot nearly 3000 shots last weekend at an event.  I did a rush processing job on a subset of the pictures based on the subject.  Now I need to go back an apply some settings using batch jobs in NX2, but I don't want to apply those settings to the files I already processed.  I need to be able to select all the non-processed pictures in NX2's browser, but I wasn't consistent with the color codes or stars because I was in such a hurry.

Here's how I solved my dilemma.  I remembered this thread about using the {software} variable to be able to see that Capture has written the image.  That almost solves my problem, but I can't search on that variable.  I opened the IPTC Stationery Pad, cleared it and in the "Edit Status" field I added {software}.  I applied the stationery to all the files in the directory.  Next I used Edit->Find to search for all files with "Capture" in the "Edit Status" field.  Find selects all the images that meet the criteria.  Now (on Windows), I press F2 to view only the selected photos, and then Ctrl-4 to assign all the images a green color code.  Now I can use NX2's browser to select all but the images tagged with green to run the batch job against all the other files.

Photo Mechanic is such a powerful and flexible tool.

Danny

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 12:29:33 AM »
I tried to the software variable idea and it worked when I use portrait professional, but it doesn't show anything when I've edited with Lightroom 3.  Has anyone else had a problem with lightroom 3 showing up?

EJ,

Missed your comment so my reply is a bit late, but indeed LR3 edits do not show up because LR3 does not update the "software" (creatertool) field. A real pity I would say  >:(

Cheers,
    Hayo

Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline eja

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 05:53:56 AM »
Thanks for the info.

EJ