Author Topic: Input caption info feature request  (Read 8648 times)

Offline spephoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Input caption info feature request
« on: January 22, 2011, 12:10:56 PM »
Currently our work flow requires a {caption} export using "Text Exporter" from multiple images to one .txt file and then the captions are edited for style and spelling/composition in MS Word. Is there a way PM could pull this info back out of the .txt file and ingest it back into the corresponding images? thanks for considering.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Input caption info feature request
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:30:02 PM »
Currently our work flow requires a {caption} export using "Text Exporter" from multiple images to one .txt file and then the captions are edited for style and spelling/composition in MS Word. Is there a way PM could pull this info back out of the .txt file and ingest it back into the corresponding images? thanks for considering.

It is unlikely that PM would ever be able to handle a Word file as input.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 03:52:23 AM »
It is unlikely that PM would ever be able to handle a Word file as input.

Hi Kirk, If I understand the question correctly, I think the file is still in .txt format and he just wants to automatically read the (edited) captions back into PM. In other words a reverse "Text exporter".

Spephoto, if you're handy with scripting, my advise would be to write a script that reads the .txt file and uses exiftool to update the existing captions. I don't even think the script will be overly complex either.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline spephoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 06:53:48 AM »
Hayo Baan, thank you for further explaining what I'm looking for I will give exiftool and the scripting a shot.

Offline spephoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 03:07:29 PM »
OK I tried the scripting and in the end I got it to work but, I'm not sure if this is any better. PM please add a input from .txt feature.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 04:39:05 PM »
OK I tried the scripting and in the end I got it to work but, I'm not sure if this is any better. PM please add a input from .txt feature.

We'll consider it.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 04:28:23 PM »
How about putting this text export in a code replacement format like:
{fbas}{tab}{caption}

Then when it is edited in Word simply use it as a codereplacement file and apply to all images a capton having \{fbas}\ in the caption field?

I think it would work fine as a "reverse text exporter".
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 04:55:23 PM »
How about putting this text export in a code replacement format like:
{fbas}{tab}{caption}

Then when it is edited in Word simply use it as a codereplacement file and apply to all images a capton having \{fbas}\ in the caption field?

I think it would work fine as a "reverse text exporter".

I think it would also work but may be a bit cumbersome.  It should work.  Use the IPTC Stationery Pad with \{fbas}\ in the Caption field and apply to all of your images.  Note that if a match to the filename of the image can't be found, the current Caption field will be cleared.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 03:17:39 AM »
Would it work of you structured the TXT file with the old caption, a tab, then the new, edited caption. Then did a code replacement based on the  old cation?

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 05:46:33 AM »
Mick,

Would it work of you structured the TXT file with the old caption, a tab, then the new, edited caption. Then did a code replacement based on the  old cation?

As long as the original caption had no tabs or new lines (cr) in them (basically when copied and pasted all of the text would be on one line with no intervening tabs) then yes, it would work.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 03:11:50 PM »
Mick,

As long as the original caption had no tabs or new lines (cr) in them (basically when copied and pasted all of the text would be on one line with no intervening tabs) then yes, it would work.

-Kirk

I think my {fbas} version is a step simpler (presuming the filename does not change) than the one involving the full old caption as such a complex text may cause problems if a tab or some special characters (ancients for example) are involved.

I think keeping the code replacement code (a full old caption versus the filename) as simple as it is possible can help eleminate possible error factors.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 03:13:35 PM »

I think my {fbas} version is a step simpler (presuming the filename does not change) than the one involving the full old caption as such a complex text may cause problems if a tab or some special characters (ancients for example) are involved.

I think keeping the code replacement code (a full old caption versus the filename) as simple as it is possible can help eleminate possible error factors.

I agree completely.

-Kirk