Author Topic: Moving IPTC Drop down presets  (Read 5277 times)

Offline KBishop

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Moving IPTC Drop down presets
« on: January 24, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »
Is there any way to copy the presets from the drop downs in the IPTC window to another computer?  I would like them to be the same and typing them in one at a time is time consuming.

Kevin

PM 4.6.6 Mac 10.6.6

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Moving IPTC Drop down presets
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »
Kevin,

Is there any way to copy the presets from the drop downs in the IPTC window to another computer?  I would like them to be the same and typing them in one at a time is time consuming.

Yes, use Export feature of the Preferences dialog on one system, and the Import feature in the Preferences dialog on the other system.  You'll have to copy the export file (.PMX) from the first system to the second system.

-Kirk

Offline KBishop

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 08:19:19 PM »
Thanks.  I almost knew there had to be but I was having a busy day restraining myself from shooting (or throwing or beating with a sledgehammer,) a cheap HP box running Vista that I am moving off.  Now just Macs.  Tomorrow will be a better day since I will not have Vista in my life.

Thanks again

K

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 12:29:26 AM »
Tomorrow will be a better day since I will not have Vista in my life.

:) A couple of years ago, Vista was the final push we needed to make the move. Now we only have Macs and love it.

Today is the start of the rest of your life ;)

Cheers,
    Hayo

P.S. I can really recommend one of David Pogues "Missing manual" books to help you get sorted on your new platform.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline KBishop

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 09:17:38 AM »
Actually, it has been convincing the wife to come over from the dark side. I guess we had a mixed marriage.  :)  I have used Macs since the Mac II FX.  I used to be the lone Mac island in a sea of PCs fighting every day (almost) to keep them.  (It was for the government)  I had to support her Vista machine.  Every time I did, it was very, very frustrating.

I will be trying the Vista machine as a Netflix box in my home theater.  I hope it is up to that small challenge but we shall see.

Today, I will be trying to get her archive mail to come over cleanly.  So far, some problems.  Got the O2M software and have had problems running it.  Tried to migrate by using Thunderbird and not everything came through.

When we travel, we will be taking her machine, a new MacBook Air instead of my heavier MacBook Pro so, I needed my Photo Mechanic on it.  Can't travel with out PM.

Also, I have been bring my new Mac Mini Server on line.  Hoping the PM catalog software gets here before I have to pull the trigger and go with Cumulus.

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement.

Kevin

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 07:29:50 AM »
This is an old post I should have read before switching from Win 7 32 bits to Win 7 64 bits. Of course almost everything had to be re-installed.

I could find back my cameras presets in IngestDialogSettings, but cannot locate my IMPCXMP settings.

I still have a backup of the 32 bits AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic folder. Is there a way not to retype everything?

Francis

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »
Francis,

This is an old post I should have read before switching from Win 7 32 bits to Win 7 64 bits. Of course almost everything had to be re-installed.

I could find back my cameras presets in IngestDialogSettings, but cannot locate my IMPCXMP settings.

I still have a backup of the 32 bits AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic folder. Is there a way not to retype everything?

Are you talking about the settings in the IPTC/XMP section of the Preferences dialog?  Or IPTC snapshots?  Or what the original poster asked? (the lists of items in the popup menus that appear to the right of most of the fields in the IPTC dialogs)

-Kirk

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 09:23:53 AM »
Hello Kirk,

Thank you for the quick answer. The IPTC snapshots I have (files with suffix snap in \AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\IPTCDialogSettings), it is the drop down lists with city, Location etc that are gone, and also the Preferences settings for the XMP/IPTC panel. Although this is not  a real problem, I read and Write metadata in and from Raw and jpg.

It is really the drop down lists, just like the author of the original post.

Francis

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 09:52:20 AM »
Francis,

It is really the drop down lists, just like the author of the original post.

Do you still have the original system and can run Photo Mechanic on it?  Or do you only have the files from the old system?

-Kirk

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 10:55:55 AM »
No, it is gone, I changed the system HD for a bigger one (320 Gb => 1T) and installed Win7 64 in lieu of Win7 32bits.

In fact I still have the old system HD so I suppose I can re-install it for a short time but if possible I really would prefer to restore these drop down lists from the old Camerabits folders that I have backed up.

Francis

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 11:28:20 AM »
Francis,

No, it is gone, I changed the system HD for a bigger one (320 Gb => 1T) and installed Win7 64 in lieu of Win7 32bits.

In fact I still have the old system HD so I suppose I can re-install it for a short time but if possible I really would prefer to restore these drop down lists from the old Camerabits folders that I have backed up.

Can you zip up the settings and send them to me?  I'll see what I can do to extract the lists and get them back to you.  Contact me privately for an email address that you can send your zipped settings to as an email attachment.

-Kirk

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 05:15:15 AM »
The ZIP has been send, but  If it is labor intensive, please don't waste your time, the lists will be recreated slowly as I work with PM.

And thanks alot for the excellent support.

Francis