Author Topic: Date problem still: 4.4.3.3 (beta)  (Read 4757 times)

Offline daveJDSP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Date problem still: 4.4.3.3 (beta)
« on: September 18, 2006, 11:10:49 AM »
Date problem still.
WinXP Athon 64X2

I am new to Photo Mechanic so I don't know what I am doing. However, in the stationery pad, the date always comes up checked and set to today's date, regardless of how I set the preferences (Edit>Preferences).
Also, the IPTC info for all my TIFF files comes up showing today's date, but the IPTC info for all my CR2 files shows properly as the date/time that is was previously set to.

One other problem. I don't see how to put the capture date and time into the [Time and Date] field, other than looking it up and typing it in directly. The field won't accept variables and there is no [Exif capture date/time] button (in the way that there is a [Today] button). This applies to both the IPTC info and the IPTC stationery pad.

I can't use Photo Mechanic at all without it being able to properly and automatically put my capture date/times into the time & date fields. Oh, also, where is the GMT offset?

I am hoping that we can standardize on Photo Mechanic for our IPTC editor and browsing tool. It looks very hopeful so far. Some very nice features & capabilities!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Date problem still: 4.4.3.3 (beta)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 02:24:43 PM »
Date problem still.
WinXP Athon 64X2

Are you certain that you are running the beta?  It is working fine for me on Windows XP.

Quote from: daveJDSP
I am new to Photo Mechanic so I don't know what I am doing. However, in the stationery pad, the date always comes up checked and set to today's date, regardless of how I set the preferences (Edit>Preferences).

This should not be the case in the beta.

Also, the IPTC info for all my TIFF files comes up showing today's date, but the IPTC info for all my CR2 files shows properly as the date/time that is was previously set to.

What application generated the TIFF files?

Here is how we handle IPTC date/time:

If the photo has an IPTC record complete with IPTC date and time, we honor it.
If the photo does not have an IPTC record, or it does have one but it is missing the date and time fields then:
  We try to use the Exif Date Digitized tag.  If that doesn't exist:
  We try to get the creation date and time of the file.  If that cannot be obtained:
  We try to get the modification date and time of the file.  If that cannot be obtained:
  We use the current date and time.

One other problem. I don't see how to put the capture date and time into the [Time and Date] field, other than looking it up and typing it in directly. The field won't accept variables and there is no [Exif capture date/time] button (in the way that there is a [Today] button). This applies to both the IPTC info and the IPTC stationery pad.

You are correct in that it cannot be done.  We're thinking of adding a popup button that will have the following choices:
  Use capture date/time
  Use filesystem creation date/time
  Use filesystem modification date/time
  Use today's date/time

I can't use Photo Mechanic at all without it being able to properly and automatically put my capture date/times into the time & date fields.

It does that, just how I described above.

Oh, also, where is the GMT offset?

The GMT is set from the GMT offset of your system's clock.  There is currently no UI for changing this.  We may add a GMT offset popup menu in the future.

HTH,

-Kirk