Author Topic: Photoshop CS2 not reading IPTC caption added in MP  (Read 6573 times)

Offline adamjb786

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photoshop CS2 not reading IPTC caption added in MP
« on: September 16, 2006, 05:19:06 PM »
My newspaper works with PM to manage contact sheets, etc.  Half of our photogs find it easier to write captions in PS, others find it easier to use PM. 

The problem is that when we edit captions in PM, they do not show up in File Info in PS.  This is absolutely essential because our designers take the captions out through PS. 

The IPTC data will show up if we go the other way around, however.  This is a wider problem than I had thought.  People on SportsShooter are clueless, as well.  http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=21745

Please, if there is a fix or workaround to resolve the seemingly one-way editing, let me know ASAP.  This is killing our nightly workflow.  I couldn't find anything on the forums here (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, though).  We are running PM 4.38 and want to use all of the time-saving features.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photoshop CS2 not reading IPTC caption added in MP
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 12:34:54 AM »
My newspaper works with PM to manage contact sheets, etc.  Half of our photogs find it easier to write captions in PS, others find it easier to use PM. 

The problem is that when we edit captions in PM, they do not show up in File Info in PS.  This is absolutely essential because our designers take the captions out through PS. 

The IPTC data will show up if we go the other way around, however.  This is a wider problem than I had thought.  People on SportsShooter are clueless, as well.  http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=21745

Please, if there is a fix or workaround to resolve the seemingly one-way editing, let me know ASAP.  This is killing our nightly workflow.  I couldn't find anything on the forums here (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, though).  We are running PM 4.38 and want to use all of the time-saving features.

Photoshop CS2 now uses XMP for captioning.  Photo Mechanic 4.4.x supports XMP captioning and has lots of options to control how you want your captions added to your photos, and allows you to choose which data is preferred.

Version 4.3.8 does not have this capability.

Version 4.4.3 and higher has a new feature called Code Replacement which will save you even more time captioning your photos.  The folks over at SportsShooter really seem to like Code Replacement and have generated several threads about it over there.

BTW, the folks at SportsShooter were not clueless: they figured it out after a few tries (see the last post by Michael Silverwood.)

Try a demo of 4.4.3.2 and you'll find that it can be configured to solve your issue.  If you need help, let me know and I'll tell you what each IPTC/XMP preference setting should be.

HTH,

-Kirk