Author Topic: PM not able to open NFS mounts  (Read 4645 times)

Offline arke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM not able to open NFS mounts
« on: January 29, 2011, 04:46:48 PM »
Hi,
    I am running PM 4.6.6 on my Intel-based MAC running Mac OS X 10.6.6. My photos are on a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive that is mounted over NFS.  I can browse the photos using Finder, but PM does not expand the NFS mounts - they are all listed in the Navigator panel, but they don't have the triangle next to them and double-clicking has no effect. Even right-clicking and asking to explicitly open in a new contact sheet has no effect. If I drag and drop the folder into PM, it is able to open it, but it does not work from the Navigator panel.

Thanks,
Rajesh

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM not able to open NFS mounts
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 07:12:23 PM »
Rajesh,

I am running PM 4.6.6 on my Intel-based MAC running Mac OS X 10.6.6. My photos are on a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive that is mounted over NFS.  I can browse the photos using Finder, but PM does not expand the NFS mounts - they are all listed in the Navigator panel, but they don't have the triangle next to them and double-clicking has no effect. Even right-clicking and asking to explicitly open in a new contact sheet has no effect. If I drag and drop the folder into PM, it is able to open it, but it does not work from the Navigator panel.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.  I can only offer to build a special version of PM with debugging added to the Navigator to try and find out what is going wrong.  Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline arke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 12:46:19 AM »
Sure, I am willing to try it out. One additional data point: When I launch PM, the Navigator shows all the NFS mounts (without the triangle, of course).  After some time, those mounts disappear.

Thanks,
Rajesh

Offline nikkoreye

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Hello, I am using PM 4.6.6 on an Intel based MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.6.7. I can confirm that an NFS mounted directory will not open in PM. Lightroom 3.4 RC has no problems with this NFS mount. Please provide a debug build for me.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »
Hello, I am using PM 4.6.6 on an Intel based MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.6.7. I can confirm that an NFS mounted directory will not open in PM. Lightroom 3.4 RC has no problems with this NFS mount. Please provide a debug build for me.

How are you mounting your NFS share?  I mounted one from my Synology Disk Station DS410 like so:

sudo mount -o resvport 192.168.2.4:/volume1/NFS_Share /Volumes/NFS_Share

... and my Navigator shows a disk named "NFS_Share" in it and I can view photos from it, create folders in it, move photos from one folder to another via drag and drop, etc.

Works fine for me when mounted in the above manner.

-Kirk

Offline nikkoreye

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 05:42:00 AM »
The NFS mount is done with Finder's "use server". The NFS server is runing CentOS 5.5 Linux (binary compatible to RHEL). The export option "insecure" is required (because Finder does not use -o resvport) and set in the server's /etc/exports.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 05:55:40 AM »
The NFS mount is done with Finder's "use server". The NFS server is runing CentOS 5.5 Linux (binary compatible to RHEL). The export option "insecure" is required (because Finder does not use -o resvport) and set in the server's /etc/exports.

Try mounting it in the manner I described.

-Kirk

Offline nikkoreye

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 09:12:43 AM »
Hi Kirk, I mounted like you did using "-o resvport" but did not notice any difference. This time the NFS server was running on openSUSE 11.3 Linux.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:27:49 AM »
Hi Kirk, I mounted like you did using "-o resvport" but did not notice any difference. This time the NFS server was running on openSUSE 11.3 Linux.

Does it mount in /Volumes ?

-Kirk

Offline nikkoreye

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 09:46:45 AM »
Yes, I issued:

mkdir /Volumes/photos1
sudo mount -o resvport 192.168.2.160:/export/photos1 /Volumes/photos1

Access to /Volumes/photos1 (mounted, it contains one subdirectory photos28) with Finder and Lightroom 3.4 RC is no problem.

Would you like to get a tcpdump file taken on the NFS server containing the NFS calls issued by the MacBook running PM 4.6.7b4? PM was set to the directory /Volumes/photos1 (no subdir listed in PM), closed and started again with "re-open last folder". The tcpdump file contains the NFS calls during the start of PM and one mouse click to the empty photos1 directory (containing subdirectory photos28 on the NFS server).