Author Topic: "Load Selection" to ignore extension  (Read 4083 times)

Offline Marc Rochkind

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
"Load Selection" to ignore extension
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:26:19 AM »
When exporting a JPEG embedded in a raw and then reading back in a file of selected file names generated by an external app, the file names won't match the original because the extensions are different. I suggest that you accept file names like:

MJR_20110201_1234.*

in the text file to indicate that the extension should not participate in the match. (In general, it's difficult or impossible for the external app to guess the extension.)

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Load Selection" to ignore extension
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 02:27:57 PM »
Marc,

When exporting a JPEG embedded in a raw and then reading back in a file of selected file names generated by an external app, the file names won't match the original because the extensions are different. I suggest that you accept file names like:

MJR_20110201_1234.*

in the text file to indicate that the extension should not participate in the match. (In general, it's difficult or impossible for the external app to guess the extension.)

Easy enough to implement, but what app is doing the JPEG export and which app is generating the selection file?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: "Load Selection" to ignore extension
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 09:36:50 PM »
I second the request to make the load selection accept maching filenames with not maching extensions.

I often export JPG previews from RAW files being smaller and thus easier to move around and work with them then I save selections and apply rating and color changes on the selections. With current workflow I allways have to open the selection files in a text editor and replace the extension. This addition could let me skip a step with each and every selection file. It would be a great time saver.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com