Author Topic: Auto Advance no longer works  (Read 5084 times)

Offline Jimsokay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Auto Advance no longer works
« on: January 30, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »
In Preferences I have all boxes checked under "Automatically advance to next photo when:"

Up until today this has worked flawlessly and now it no longer works!

I have repaired permissions and such, but to no avail. I just spent a two hours trying to find the cause with no luck.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated as the application is of no use in this condition.

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.6 and I run Mac OS X 10.6.6 on my Intel-based 2.66 Mac Pro.

Thank you,

Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Auto Advance no longer works
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Jim,

In Preferences I have all boxes checked under "Automatically advance to next photo when:"

Up until today this has worked flawlessly and now it no longer works!

I have repaired permissions and such, but to no avail. I just spent a two hours trying to find the cause with no luck.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated as the application is of no use in this condition.

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.6 and I run Mac OS X 10.6.6 on my Intel-based 2.66 Mac Pro.

If you quit PM and open it again and then go into the Preferences dialog are your settings still set the way you left them?

-Kirk

Offline Jimsokay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 04:01:17 AM »
Kirk,
Yes, the settings hold.
Thank you,
Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 06:14:23 AM »
Jim,

Yes, the settings hold.

OK, while I don't know why it would stop working (the code that implements the feature hasn't changed in a long time) my first guess is that somehow your preferences file has become damaged in some way.  So lets temporarily start over with defaults.  First quit PM.  Next, open the Finder to your home folder.  Then open the Library folder followed by the Preferences folder.  Scroll through the files until you find the folder named com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic and open it as well.  Find the file named com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefs and rename it to old.com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefs

Now launch PM again, and open the Preferences dialog and setup your Preview settings.  Try out the Preview and let me know if it works now.  I'll follow up by helping you get your other settings back.

-Kirk

Offline Jimsokay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 12:52:10 PM »
Kirk,
I did as you said and no change in results. btw I had already cleaned out the prefs in hopes that recreating new ones was would correct the problem.

The oddest part is it worked perfectly a couple of days ago.

Thank you,

Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 01:01:10 PM »
Jim,

I did as you said and no change in results. btw I had already cleaned out the prefs in hopes that recreating new ones was would correct the problem.

The oddest part is it worked perfectly a couple of days ago.

OK, then I suggest calling our support folks at 503-547-2888 and hopefully they can get things straightened out for you.

-Kirk

Offline Jimsokay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »
Kirk,

I called the support line and they got me straightened out in a couple minutes. My fault, not the app.

Thank you for your help.

Jim