Author Topic: "New Folder" creation very slow  (Read 6885 times)

Offline jakedai

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
"New Folder" creation very slow
« on: February 02, 2011, 12:32:38 PM »
Hi,

I'm running PM 4.6.6 on Windows 7 64-bit with 8GB RAM.

I've been in a bit edit recently, working on folders with about 1000 images in each. During the edit, I'm making new subfolders using the right-click dialog menu "New folder inside this folder". For some reason, this process is taking a long, long time, sometimes up to 3-4 minutes to create a new folder in the tree.

FWIW, the images/folders I'm working on are on a Drobo RAID array connected via Firewire. But, the delay is not there if I create a new folder using Windows Explorer, so it seems to be something within PM that is causing the delay.

Not the end of the world, but a bit frustrating. Would love to know if there's a solution!

Thanks,

Jake Norton
MountainWorld Photography
www.mountainworldphoto.com
http://blog.mountainworldproductions.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "New Folder" creation very slow
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:15:56 PM »
Jake,

I'm running PM 4.6.6 on Windows 7 64-bit with 8GB RAM.

I've been in a bit edit recently, working on folders with about 1000 images in each. During the edit, I'm making new subfolders using the right-click dialog menu "New folder inside this folder". For some reason, this process is taking a long, long time, sometimes up to 3-4 minutes to create a new folder in the tree.

FWIW, the images/folders I'm working on are on a Drobo RAID array connected via Firewire. But, the delay is not there if I create a new folder using Windows Explorer, so it seems to be something within PM that is causing the delay.

Not the end of the world, but a bit frustrating. Would love to know if there's a solution!

That's really odd.  I have no idea why it would take so long.  The only thing I can offer that will help us figure out what is going on is to build a logging version of PM that will allow me print out messages in the code that I think may be responsible.  You in turn would run the special version, exercise the new folder feature and then send me the log file.

Are you interested?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jakedai

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 07:36:44 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I'd be willing to try it out. I also just noticed that it might be something to do with the tree refreshing. I just created a new folder using windows explorer rather than PM, and when I clicked back to PM, it had to think for a minute or so before it displayed the new folder in the tree. Not sure if that info helps at all in troubleshooting.

Let me know how you want to proceed, and thanks for the quick reply!

-Jake

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:12:27 PM »
Jake,

I'd be willing to try it out. I also just noticed that it might be something to do with the tree refreshing. I just created a new folder using windows explorer rather than PM, and when I clicked back to PM, it had to think for a minute or so before it displayed the new folder in the tree. Not sure if that info helps at all in troubleshooting.

Let me know how you want to proceed, and thanks for the quick reply!

In the next couple of days I'll get the logging code added to the Navigator and I'll let you know privately where you can download it.

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 06:24:32 AM »
I've had the same problem for some time (many versions) running xp, vista , & 7. It got worse as did many other functions in a recent beta. We discovered there was an issue with Norton Internet security. Kirk did his magic and got me a new beta that fied the new issues and helped with the folder creation thought it is still much slower then explorer. I rarely will bother now to open an explorer window to create a new folder (or rename) the wait is reduced dramatically. But occasionally I do wait a long time.
I am running multiple shared mapped network drives Some over Gbit some external on a eStata - I do feel it got much worse as the new drives went over 1t now 2t.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 10:43:58 AM »
I have also had this problem on and off over at least the past year (but not recently- hold that thought).  Not only creating folders but renaming folders; any folder update operation done from the explorer tree.  Edit: in every case I had no delay using Windows Explorer, similar to the experience of others here.

I also have some mapped network drives although I do most of my PM work on a local drive.  The performance problem was on the local drives as well as, I guess, network drives although I don't add folders to the network mapped drives very often.  I noticed that sometimes, but not always, I could eliminate the performance issue by simply closing the "My Network Places" branch at the bottom of the explorer tree.  If My Network Places was open then the delay occurred, even if it was only open one level and even if no folders from that branch were open as a contact sheet.  

At some point I figured out that if I rebooted the machine the problem often or always went away.  I don't reboot my working machine (laptop) very often.

Later I found that disabling Kaspersky Internet Security would resolve the problem, and turning it back on did not cause further delays.  From that I decided that Kaspersky was involved, and maybe only when it had run for a long time without a machine reboot (I don't turn it off unless I am doing problem resolution work).

About a month ago I updated from Kaspersky 2009, I think, to 2011.  I have not had the problem in the last month, nor have I been rebooting frequently but I don't keep mental track of that so hard to say if K2011 fixed whatever it was doing.

Now with Kaspersky 2011 installed, my PM problem may be solved but my Outlook 2003 process NEVER shuts down, which means I can never get a good cold backup of my outlook mail files without rebooting.  Which just goes to show that these AV programs are all evil  :(

The main point here is that the problem may not be specific to Norton, in the case anyone else has this problem.  If I get it again I'll bug Kirk for that debug version  ;D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:47:35 AM by NeilR »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »
For anyone having this issue on Windows, I have a logging build for you to test with.  Send me a personal message to get the link to the installer download.

Thanks,

-Kirk