Author Topic: a newer request for DNG conversion support  (Read 3653 times)

Offline k_bennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
a newer request for DNG conversion support
« on: September 19, 2006, 08:28:04 AM »
Greetings,

I just wanted to put in a new ping for adding DNG conversion during Ingest. (The most recent request was in May.) I understand that Camerabits believes that we should all be keeping our raw files, and that DNG may not be the best solution. However, for those of us who've chosen to archive DNG files along with (or instead of) our original RAW files, it would be a huge time saving step to have that conversion take place during the Ingest function.

Thanks from a long-time happy Photo Mechanic user.

--Ken

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: a newer request for DNG conversion support
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 08:41:23 AM »
Ken,

I just wanted to put in a new ping for adding DNG conversion during Ingest. (The most recent request was in May.) I understand that Camerabits believes that we should all be keeping our raw files, and that DNG may not be the best solution. However, for those of us who've chosen to archive DNG files along with (or instead of) our original RAW files, it would be a huge time saving step to have that conversion take place during the Ingest function.

Since we cannot ourselves do DNG conversion, we would have to rely on the DNG Converter application to be present, and we would need a way to execute it without a UI popping up for each file that is processed.  I think it can be done so we'll think about it.

Thanks for the feedback,

-Kirk

Offline k_bennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: a newer request for DNG conversion support
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 09:05:51 AM »
Thanks, Kirk. I understand more of the issue now. I'm not a programmer, and I was assuming that you could somehow incorporate the DNG conversion within PM. Thanks for looking into it.

--Ken