Author Topic: feature request  (Read 7923 times)

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
feature request
« on: February 02, 2011, 04:51:05 PM »
First, I realize that CS-5 can do these things, however, what's good about PM is that image preparation can be done quickly from the one program.

Second, the below features are stabdard on Breeze Browser Pro (BBP).  It would be great if Photo Mechanic could mimic what BBP does.

Feature requsts

1 - black borders of varing sizes that can be applied tio images quickly in the "save as" template
2 - saturation enhancement.  Ability to add saturation to RAW images from the "save as" template
3 - adjust black/white point.  Ability to adjust black and whiote point to RAW images in the "save as" template

I often use the "save as" template to process RAW files quickly and have them sent to e-mail.  The above enhancements would allow these RAW files to look a little better before sending.

Thanks for looking,  WilloW

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
Re: feature request
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:01:39 PM »
I would have to say with respect that I don't want this. PM is fantastic BECAUSE it does not pretend to do any image processing. This makes it lean and mean and the absolute best at digital asset management.
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 02:08:45 PM »
HI John

Far enough call.  But, you can choose what you use and don't use.  Everyone's work-flow and requirements are different.  Best,   Iain

Offline drjay32

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Luminescence of Nature Photograpy
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 08:30:44 AM »
I agree with Willow. The point of PM is image management, not image editing. If I wanted that, I'd just go and use Aperture or Lightroom.
Jason P. Odell
Photographer and author in Colorado, USA
www.luminescentphoto.com

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:14:39 AM »
I agree with Willow. The point of PM is image management, not image editing. If I wanted that, I'd just go and use Aperture or Lightroom.

Add me to the "don't want" group.  PM is a FAST image manager.  Please don't bulk it up with functions other applications already handle.  As Jason notes there are other programs to choose if that's what you want.  A keystroke or two takes me from PM to Capture NX2 for adjustments or PS for major edits.

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 04:07:57 PM »
+1 for the "don't want" group.   After saturation and black/white point will be contrast, then exposure, then white balance, then raw conversion, etc.    ACDSee Pro is an example of what I don't want- bloated.    Thanks, Peter   :)

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 05:13:49 PM »
Hi everyone;

I thought this was a feature request notification forum.

It seems to devloping into I want and I don't want discussion.

My initial reqiest was for borders, black point and saturation as I "thought" this would be advantagous when sending images via e-mail and/or using the save as command -  from RAW files.  I did not ask for anything else - nor do I want anything else conversion wise.

Ultimately the decision is at the discretion of the devloper. 

I wasn't really thinking that this would develop into anything else other than a request.  Best to all,  WilloW

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 06:42:14 PM »
Everyone,

I thought this was a feature request notification forum.

It seems to devloping into I want and I don't want discussion.

My initial reqiest was for borders, black point and saturation as I "thought" this would be advantagous when sending images via e-mail and/or using the save as command -  from RAW files.  I did not ask for anything else - nor do I want anything else conversion wise.

Ultimately the decision is at the discretion of the devloper. 

I wasn't really thinking that this would develop into anything else other than a request.  Best to all,  WilloW

Iain is right.  Let requests be made and not judged.  If you want to make a poll, the forums supports that.

-Kirk

sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 10:27:15 PM »
Everyone,

Iain is right.  Let requests be made and not judged.  If you want to make a poll, the forums supports that.

-Kirk

Kirk,

I don't get this. This is a discussion forum, after all. I would think you would want to know which ideas were popular and which ideas that were not.

However, if you don't want discussions in the "Feature Request" forum, set up the forum so only the OP can comment in a thread.

S-

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 06:09:29 AM »
Scott,

Everyone,

I don't get this. This is a discussion forum, after all. I would think you would want to know which ideas were popular and which ideas that were not.

However, if you don't want discussions in the "Feature Request" forum, set up the forum so only the OP can comment in a thread.

Not necessary.  We want people to be able to contribute and advance ideas and making it so only the original poster can add further comments means that others wanting to further or refine an idea would require new threads to be created.  That gets messy and hard to follow.

I said if you want to vote, make a poll.  This is the Feature Requests forum.  If you want to debate whether a feature should be implemented, there is a General Discussion forum for discussion.  Let's let everyone have their ideas be heard.

-Kirk

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 02:27:53 PM »

-Kirk

Great idea, Kirk. How do we set up a poll in the forums?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 03:46:28 PM »
Paul,

Great idea, Kirk. How do we set up a poll in the forums?

Use the 'Post New Poll' button in any one of the forum subsections.

-Kirk