Author Topic: GPS Display  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
GPS Display
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:36:24 AM »
This may be a topic for "Feature Requests" but I'm posting here first in case I'm missing something.  Preferences provides several options for Latitude/Longitude display and Imperial-Metric-Nautical choices for distance.  Am I missing a place to set GPS altitude to feet rather than meters? (I know the rest of the world is metric but I'm in the US of A; what more can I say).

Thanks

Woodie

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Re: GPS Display
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »
Hi, Woodie,
What do you mean by GPS altitude? Where do you see it in PM?
On the other hand, you can set GPS distance in miles (multiple of feet)...
HTH

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 04:35:39 PM »
It's the variable altitude or galt found with the other GPS data in the variables display.  Same place Lat and Long are found.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 02:20:52 AM »
Woodie,
I see what you mean...but altitude is set by the camera/GPS device and is just "shown" by PM.
What you can do in PM is setting the GPS Coordinates in the Image drop-down menu (in degrees).
HTH

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 07:54:55 AM »
Woodie,
I see what you mean...but altitude is set by the camera/GPS device and is just "shown" by PM.
What you can do in PM is setting the GPS Coordinates in the Image drop-down menu (in degrees).
HTH

-Luiz Muzzi

Correct. Lat/Long and altitude are all set by the GPS. As you say, altitude is just "shown" by PM. However, PM has the built in capability to convert GPS coordinates to different displays: degrees.minutes.seconds.decimal seconds; dd mm.mm or dd.dddd.  PM will also display metric or Imperial or nautical miles.  I just haven't seen a way to set altitude to Imperial vs metric.  Not a big deal. I can always multiply the altitude in meters by 3.3 (3.28083989501312) to get feet.  I just wondered if I was missing a Preference to change the display to feet since the other conversions were built in.  Nothing I'm going to lose sleep over.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 03:42:44 PM »
Woodie,
Thanks for your answer...it clarified the subject for me.
Anyway, I support your request. It reminds me of a page in internet (the-digital-picture.com) where there is always an option to convert lens measures to metric/imperial.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi