Author Topic: Have question about supplemental categories  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Ted

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Have question about supplemental categories
« on: February 08, 2011, 09:13:06 AM »
I am running an evaluation copy of PM 4.6.6 on Windows 7 x64.

I like what I've seen so far, except that PM is deleting Supplemental Categories 4 thru 'n'.  All of my 150,000+ photos have more than 3 supplemental categories and anytime a change a photo with PM, I end up with only three.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong, or is your program limited to only 3 Supp Cats?

Attached is a copy of your IPTC edit screen showing only 3 Supp Cats.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Have question about supplemental categories
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 09:20:33 AM »
Ted,

I am running an evaluation copy of PM 4.6.6 on Windows 7 x64.

I like what I've seen so far, except that PM is deleting Supplemental Categories 4 thru 'n'.  All of my 150,000+ photos have more than 3 supplemental categories and anytime a change a photo with PM, I end up with only three.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong, or is your program limited to only 3 Supp Cats?

Attached is a copy of your IPTC edit screen showing only 3 Supp Cats.

Photo Mechanic only supports the editing of three Supplemental Categories.  It should not however delete any that it can't edit.  That would be a bug.  I'll look into it and get back to you.

What application/tool do you use that adds more than three Supplemental Categories?

-Kirk

Offline Ted

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 09:29:05 AM »
Photo Mechanic only supports the editing of three Supplemental Categories.  It should not however delete any that it can't edit.  That would be a bug.  I'll look into it and get back to you.

What application/tool do you use that adds more than three Supplemental Categories?

-Kirk

I use IMatch from http://www.photools.com/.

And yes, it does delete any Supp Cats greater than 3.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 09:37:41 AM by Ted »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 10:19:07 AM »
Ted,

I use IMatch from http://www.photools.com/.

And yes, it does delete any Supp Cats greater than 3.

Confirmed.  I talked with Dennis Walker (originator of IPTC stuff inside PM) and he says that we support a fixed set of three Supplemental Category fields for historical reasons but that we're going to make them an unordered list (kind of like how Keywords work, but unsorted) in the next major version of PM.

We suggest that you stop using PM until the next major version of PM comes out.  I don't have a timeline for its release at the moment, however.

-Kirk

Offline Ted

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:25:01 AM »
Kirk,
Thanks for the quick responses.  Treating Supplemental Categories like Keywords sounds like a winner to me.  I'll try to check back periodically to see when I can evaluate the next version - probably won't be able to take advantage of the current low prince then, however.  In the meantime I'll look elsewhere for solutions.