Author Topic: PM in a XP Network  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Junebug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • pictures that tell a story
PM in a XP Network
« on: September 20, 2006, 04:57:26 PM »
Kirk,

We're having some problems (probably our network) with PM.  Open a contact sheet of nefs and then copying 2 nefs can sometimes take minutes, Any suggestions?

Also on my XP machine PM does not open on insertion of a CompactFlash. Firewire Lexar card readers. Any suggestions here?

I'm a mac person. It's after work and I've got three Macs running... Left, center and right of me. Phot Mechanis flys on our old worn down home machines (Mac or PC) and it's frustrating to watch it on our "at work/networked PC's.. even on local drives.

We've been complaing to management and tech support but any suggestions or ammo you can give us to use would be appreciated .

Any specific info that would help.. we'll get it to you.

Thanks,

Jb.
Junebug Clark
Denton, TX
http://www.MooreClark.net

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM in a XP Network
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 08:18:39 PM »
Jb,

We're having some problems (probably our network) with PM.  Open a contact sheet of nefs and then copying 2 nefs can sometimes take minutes, Any suggestions?

Have your network admin look at the packets passing from the PCs to the network and back.  PM doesn't really do anything special when copying files.  It just reads a bunch of the source file and then writes the data to the destination file.  It repeats this process until either an error occurs or the data is copied in its entirety.

Quote from: Junebug
Also on my XP machine PM does not open on insertion of a CompactFlash. Firewire Lexar card readers. Any suggestions here?

Right-click on your reader and choose Properties.  Then click on the AutoPlay tab.  Check to see if it is configured to Ingest with Photo Mechanic.  AutoPlay is extremely fickle and there is at least one system in our group that we have never been able to get AutoPlay to work.

Quote from: Junebug
I'm a mac person. It's after work and I've got three Macs running... Left, center and right of me. Photo Mechanic flys on our old worn down home machines (Mac or PC) and it's frustrating to watch it on our "at work/networked PC's.. even on local drives.

We've been complaing to management and tech support but any suggestions or ammo you can give us to use would be appreciated .

Any specific info that would help.. we'll get it to you.

You didn't mention earlier that it was slow on your local drives.  What types of operations are you doing on your local drives, and what is slow?

Do these drives have any disk compression turned on?  If so, turn it off.

-Kirk

Offline Junebug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • pictures that tell a story
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 05:33:05 AM »
Thanks for the info and tip on how to possibly get my reader to autoplay. I will try it when I get into work today and report back.

Our parent company recently took away our IT Support team and set up the whole company with some IT Contract firm in Dallas.

As you know, our needs don't fit those of office and engineering types and everybody is getting caught in the changeover confusion.

I'm having fewer problems than the other shooters, but I'm new and got the newest machine. I've got something called an A-Pro (I know it has dual processors) with 4 gigs of ram and two internal drives (don't recall their size at this time). My programs are on one drive and I assigned the second drive as my Photoshop scratch disk nothing else goes there. And don't tell anybody, but I stuck in a firewire card and brought in a 400 gig Lacie drive (this is what I use as my main/work drive, plus three stacked Lexar firewire card readers and a Wacom tablet. I'm attached to 8 to 10 network drives (never counted.. could be more) and have to deal with virus protection and unknown people from unknown places being able to grab and change and update this machine.

I'll start documenting situation specifics when I hear the guys cussing at PhotoMechanic and report back.

Hopefully you can help us figure out what we can do and what we information we need to get to IT when the change settles down.

Thanks again for your support. We all know how PhotoMechanic flies on the clunkiest of our personal machines and it adds to our frustration at work.

Jb.
Junebug Clark
Denton, TX
http://www.MooreClark.net

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 06:29:15 AM »
Thanks for the info and tip on how to possibly get my reader to autoplay. I will try it when I get into work today and report back.

Our parent company recently took away our IT Support team and set up the whole company with some IT Contract firm in Dallas.

As you know, our needs don't fit those of office and engineering types and everybody is getting caught in the changeover confusion.

I'm having fewer problems than the other shooters, but I'm new and got the newest machine. I've got something called an A-Pro (I know it has dual processors) with 4 gigs of ram and two internal drives (don't recall their size at this time). My programs are on one drive and I assigned the second drive as my Photoshop scratch disk nothing else goes there. And don't tell anybody, but I stuck in a firewire card and brought in a 400 gig Lacie drive (this is what I use as my main/work drive, plus three stacked Lexar firewire card readers and a Wacom tablet. I'm attached to 8 to 10 network drives (never counted.. could be more) and have to deal with virus protection and unknown people from unknown places being able to grab and change and update this machine.

I'll start documenting situation specifics when I hear the guys cussing at PhotoMechanic and report back.

Hopefully you can help us figure out what we can do and what we information we need to get to IT when the change settles down.

Thanks again for your support. We all know how PhotoMechanic flies on the clunkiest of our personal machines and it adds to our frustration at work.

And of course, feel free to call us on the phone.  Our support guys are very good and can provide much more direct service than I can for this type of situation through the forums.  The office number is 503-531-8430.

-Kirk