Author Topic: Replacing BBPro and Downloader Pro with Photo Mechanic  (Read 1874 times)

Offline tourist

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Replacing BBPro and Downloader Pro with Photo Mechanic
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:27:46 AM »
Windows 7 Enterprise, 64 bit
PM 4.6.6

I am looking to replace BBPro/DLPro in my workflow with Photo Mechanic.  I geotag all of my photos and with my current setup it will use geonames.com and place not only the gps coordinates in the metadata but also the location data (State/City/town/sublocation - like park name,etc).   This is done during ingesting.

It appears that PM's ingester does not have this ability to apply track logs during ingesting.  And, it also appears that the geo-tagging features post ingestion do not include the geoname capabilities either. (I am an admitted newbie so maybe it is there and I missed it?). 

Assuming that is the case, are there any plans to add these features?  With my current setup I can download track logs from my outings into a folder, my ingested then looks in the folder for relevant track logs and applies the gps coordinates and location information to the meta-data.   It is a huge time saver and a very handy capability indeed. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Replacing BBPro and Downloader Pro with Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:45:28 AM »
Windows 7 Enterprise, 64 bit
PM 4.6.6

I am looking to replace BBPro/DLPro in my workflow with Photo Mechanic.  I geotag all of my photos and with my current setup it will use geonames.com and place not only the gps coordinates in the metadata but also the location data (State/City/town/sublocation - like park name,etc).   This is done during ingesting.

It appears that PM's ingester does not have this ability to apply track logs during ingesting.  And, it also appears that the geo-tagging features post ingestion do not include the geoname capabilities either. (I am an admitted newbie so maybe it is there and I missed it?). 

Assuming that is the case, are there any plans to add these features?  With my current setup I can download track logs from my outings into a folder, my ingested then looks in the folder for relevant track logs and applies the gps coordinates and location information to the meta-data.   It is a huge time saver and a very handy capability indeed. 

No, PM does not offer such features.  We may add them to the next major version of PM.  We've at least discussed the possibility.

-Kirk